Virtual Drumline from Sibelius to Dorico: Percussion Mapping

Hi all,

I’m almost completely sold on Dorico, but I use Virtual Drumline for nearly all of my projects in Sibelius. I’ve seen a few posts on here about it working to an extent, and things look promising. I wanted to ask myself to make sure I understood everything regarding percussion mapping and producing different sounds.

Changing techniques and sounds is fairly easy in Sibelius with a percussion map file; without it, I feel like Virtual Drumline is a mess. Are there map files or methods in place to make the transition between Sibelius and Dorico easy and worthwhile? While I really like everything that’s happening with Dorico, I want to make sure that I’ll still be able to navigate Virtual Drumline’s sounds and notations before making the switch.

Thank you!

Welcome to the forum, Houston. Dorico does include percussion maps for the four main AutoRL drumline patches in VDL, so you should be able to get up and running to at least a basic level quickly. My colleague John is working on expanding the percussion maps for VDL, so you might want to drop him a line at j dot barron at steinberg dot de.

Thanks, Daniel!