Virtual piano keys get stuck

I like to enter notes with the virtual piano keyboard in the bottom section, using the mouse.
Often, keys get stuck – they stay down, as though they haven’t been released.
Sometimes, a key shows an animation as though it has been struck twice, when it is only clicked once.
My MIDI keyboard is off (although plugged into the computer). No other music software is open.
Just wondering if anyone has come across this? Is it some setting in Dorico that is preventing key-release messages from getting through, or something?

This image shows the outlined keys stuck. The mouse button is released, and no MIDI keyboards are on.
Thanks!
PS Still using Dorico 4, on Windows 11.

I have seen this myself from time to time as well. I think the click areas for these keys can be a little fussy and consequently on occasion the mouse button “up” is swallowed, leaving the key depressed.

1 Like

I know this problem from the ipad version. There I thought it might be because the keyboard and the the overlay to close apps are at the same spot.

1 Like

Ok. Well, if the mouse events could be tightened up a little so that a mouse-out or blur event or whatever it’s called also triggers a key off, that would be great!

I haven’t seen this happening in 5.1 any more. I guess it was fixed?

I saw this happening myself on 5.1, in particular when using my touch screen. Perhaps when long-pressing, the touch gets converted to a right-click, and that’s causing a mess of things. I’ve disabled that gesture on my machine and I’ll see if that fixes it.

I’ve only got a mouse.

Made an account here just to say this is still a notorious issue on iPad, latest version as of writing.
Desperate to discover if I’m dumb or if this app just isn’t usable with virtual keyboard input at all.

Welcome to the forum, @street_legal_b17. Are you using the Apple Pencil or your fingers with the Keyboard panel?

I am getting the same stuck key problem on ipad pro M1 when trying to real time enter notes with on screen keyboard. Some of the keys stick down and with blue dots. I am running the latest ipad release.

I also get it, using fingers. I don’t have the pencil.

Welcome to the forum, @accordion. Can you detect any pattern to when the keys are more likely to get stuck down? Are you sliding your fingers between keys, or sliding off the keys into the main part of the window or off the edge of the display?

Hello, I just tried entering a simple scale using the onscreen keyboard with my M1 ipad. I tried to keep my finger on the key and not slide it around. I attached a short video which may help.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AvEAjw1u17nxgsc1O_yb2z1PveRhlQ

Thanks

This is why I had to get a real midi keyboard for my Ipad. But I thought it was a known problem with using the virtual keyboard? I was actually hoping one day it would get fixed.

I believe it helps to kill all other applications while using the Ipad, and disconnecting from the Internet while using the virtual keyboard. But even that failed for me after a longer session. So I ended up with small midi keyboard.

rexwine I just tried turning off wifi, bluetooth and closing all other apps. I entered several notes of a scale with the virtual keyboard and the keys turned blue and locked down as if pressed. So I get the same poor results as before.

I tried entering notes with the virtual keyboard and the Notion app and it worked fine. I think there may be a glitch with Dorico.

I also have a midi keyboard which seems to work ok with D, Sometimes I like the portability of quickly being able to jot down ideas with the on screen keyboard.

Yeah, unfortunately the only way I’ve been able use a virtual midi keyboard for recording on my Ipad is use another music app, and then import it. Less than ideal.