Voice and Reverb separation

Hi there.

I was just wondering, is there a way to separate voice from reverb?

I have a recording of some old tape with a voice with really big reverb on it. I would like to separate those two but kind of keep both.

I know I can reduce the reverb and clean the voice but it’s actually the reverb I am more interested in. Is there a way to do so?

Thanks. :slight_smile:

Yes that’s exactly how SL works. It’s non-destructive so when you separate any sounds it moves them onto different layers which you can Mute, Solo, Delete, Copy etc.

1 Like

Yes, I know.
But after separating the voice from the rest SL moved voice with the reverb to a dedicated layer. What I need now is to separate those two.
I tried Reverb Reduction and Unmix Noisy Speach but both options kind of destroy the voice.

I’m just wondering is there a more automated way of separating the two or do I need to go in with the pen and do everything manually?
There is quite a few minutes of it to work with…

1 Like

I do it this way: once the reverbed voice is separated in Spectralayers, I use the de-reverb filter and then set the filter to hear only the reverbed voice. It can then be exported as a separate track.

It’s tricky to get a clean separation so I repair the original track as much as possible even if it might not seem to require it. Normalize, reduce noise, hiss, hum, etc. Because some of those unwanted artifacts might be problematic. Then, I separate voice and adjust dereverb settings from there. Effective use of SL is an art form. Hope this helps.

1 Like

Yes, you have to do it manually. If you mind me asking, what tablet are you using? I’m using the surface pro and if you’re using the surface pro (like myself) one tip I can share is to allocate your saved selections because if you make too many selections it will throttle the performance by a huge margin.

To get a reverb only layer:
Use the de-reverb filter to take away all of the reverb.
Copy the resulting layer for later use.
Then switch the phase on the resulting layer and merge with the original one.

You now have one layer without reverb and one layer with hopefully only reverb.

2 Likes

Hehehe… No, I used this only as a figure of speech. I’m on a PC but I do admit I sometimes wish I had a tablet or some sort of drawing surface thingies like those Wacom ones. It would make life easier. :smiley:

I actually haven’t thought about phase switching. Good idea!

Thank you. :slight_smile:

1 Like