Vst Audio Engine Crash (not resolved ?) (Catalina ?)

Hello,

I have many crashes all related to sounds loading or not loading or switching the audio device. In Halion slots are sometimes(!) empty and load instrument doesn’t work (load bar appears but slot remains empty - yes, all sounds are on my main hard drive). When I use Kontakt the crash happens often right away. IMPORTANT: this only happens when opening already created projects. When I create a new project from a template all is fine but once I reload I run into trouble or when Mac wakes up from sleep. I’m also experiencing the “cannot load file” problem with projects affected by a crash.

I tried the following fixes :

Nothing … sometimes it works for a while and then the wheel appears and I have to force quit.

I dug into several logs and I have a hunch that it could be the vst audio engine (and Catalina 10.15.7 ?) which is also mentioned in several posts. I attached a crash report: VSTAudioEngine3_2020-10-25-213745_Laurents-MacBook-Pro.crash

Hope there is a fix, I’m even willing to switch to GM sounds because I really like Dorico. Help coming ?

Thanks,

Laurent
VSTAudioEngine3_2020-10-25-213745_Laurents-MacBook-Pro.crash (105 KB)

Hi Laurent,
sorry to hear about your trouble. I have the feeling you ran into an issue that happens really rarely and for which we don’t really have a solution, yet.
But first I need to find out a little more. Please choose from Dorico’s main menu ‘Help > Create Diagnostics Report’ and send it to ‘u dot stoermer at steinberg dot de’.
Two more questions: Do you have the Dorico license on the Soft- or USB-eLicenser? And what is the version of the eLicenser Control Center?
Thanks

I just upgraded to Catalina and Dorico became more stable. I was getting constant crashes before. The problem was a MOTU MIDI device driver. It was a little cranky, and whereas Logic would complain about it (e.g. after sleep, saying the interface disappeared), Dorico would crash or hang. With the OS upgrade I was able to update the driver to a newer version and now all is well.

So if this means anything Dorico is just more sensitive to drivers than other DAW’s. So carefully curating your audio drivers and upgrading them might be in order. I’d also run diagnostics on your computer, if not do a reinstall of the OS. In this case I think it could well make a difference.

Hello Ulf,

Thanks for writing back! I’ve sent it to “u dot stoermer at steinberg dot de”. I have the usb e-licenser and installed the latest version 6.12.14.4.1276 last week and thought the upgrade from 6.11 would help, but no. (could it be the e-licenser because it gives me this red glow evil eye …).

(N.B.: I have an RME Fireface UFXII with all the latest updates and the crash also happens with my internal soundcard (MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018)- 2,6 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7- 32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4). And I can confirm in Monitor the “Vst Engine Audio” app is gone when the crash happens).

Best,

Laurent