VST Connect Pro inside a LAN network with a switch

I have a switch that my main computer is connected to, and another laptop is connected to. MAC computers. That switch is connected to nothing else, no internet, no router. Nothing. I’d like to be able to use VST Connect Pro inside that little network between those 2 computers, but it doesn’t seem to work.

Question, is there some other config needed to be able to make this work? I tried turning off the Wifi on each computer so that the only network connection shown is “USB 10/100/1000 LAN”. (each computer has a thunderbolt to ethernet adapter). These USB network connections are set to “Using DHCP” with “self-assigned” IP addresses, and subnet masks, but nothing for router, DNS Server, or Search Domains. Perhaps I have to manually assign IP addresses?

Any help is appreciated.

It’s supposed to see the other machine without any intervention from the user, but that’s different than a direct connection between ethernet ports. I imagine some kind of network routing is needed for VST connect to see the devices.

musicullum will certainly answer this… I’m curious to know his answer.

1 Like

You would probably have to manually set the op address and mask on both machines se so they are in the same subnet but different addresses. You may need to make the opposite machine the gateway of last resort. To be honest it would be far easier to go through a router if you don’t know what you are doing. The router does not need to be connected to the internet.

3 Likes

Hi :wave: You need to use a crossover lan cable. These type are not your typical lan cable. Here’s a link for adapter you can use with regular lan cables Cable Matters 2-Pack Crossover Adapter (Crossover Cable Adapter) https://a.co/d/8ctgbZq

1 Like

I’ve always wondered what a crossover cable was. I’ve never actually tried to initiate a transfer between 2 devices directly like that. I wonder if my modern MACs would just see each other automatically? …in the Finder?

Anyway, in the scenario I described above, I was actually using a switch… and I believe it was the manual IP configuration that fixed my issue. (Note: I broke down that setup temporarily so I’m only 95% positive here, but I remember it was easy to fix.)