VST Connect Pro5

When recording using VstConnect Pro 5 I get a repeat of the recorded voice about 1 second behind the original. No matter what I do I cannot get rid of the repeat. I’ve been recording in Rehears mode to get rid of it. Very frustrating any help please.

What you hear is the deliberately delayed signal which happens when you change routing so that the returned signal becomes audible where it should not.

You should apply the “Create VST Connect” function with an empty Cubase or Nuendo project and don’t change any of the routing. In particular, you should not try to insert the VST Connect plugin manually, all of the routing issues are taken care of by the create functions.

The Performer signal is delayed internally, and playback is delayed as well so that when sufficient amount of time has passed, the two can be synchronised. Until then, no routing path should enable the not yet aligned signal.

Also see https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-us/articles/360012899079

Thanks so much for your recommendation. However it doesnt work! Did exactly as you suggest. Created a session from blank and added the VST Connect pro 5 from the cloud menu. I havent changed any routing, its stock setup. still the same delay. Any other suggestions?

What signal is delayed, your own, or the one from the Performer?
And when do you experience it, while in Stop mode, or when transport is running, or both?

Also your system details would be helpful, OS (Mac or Windows) and audio interface.

The signal from the performer is delayed. Both when in record and stopped. I’ve been recording in Chat mode to avoid the horrible double effect.
I’ve tried everything in the manual to get rid of the repeat.
Asio guard is off
Direct monitoring is off
adjust for record latency is ticked
VST Auto monitoring set to manual

Mac Studio M1 - Ventura 13.2.1
Steinberg AX4R Thunderbolt
Nuendo 12
VST Connect Pro 5

Can you activate Input Monitor (yellow speaker icon) in the Performer audio track? You should not be able to, but who knows. If so: don’t. The Performer signal is presented at all times thru the VST Connect Monitor plugin in the Control Room. Do not attempt to try to monitor it in any other way.
“Recording in chat mode” is impossible because for recording, transport needs to be started, and then chat mode is off. If you have the delay in Stop mode already, it makes it a bit easier to pinpoint the problem, because in transport play/record the system switches to an entirely different mode.
You may also want to check to remove all but one VST Connect Cue channel in Control Room (Audio Connections).

Screenshot 2023-05-23 at 14.13.27

I’ve been recording in Rehearse mode for years. cant make the horrible repeat go away.

Engaging Rehearse is calling for delay trouble, and you shouldn’t unless you know exactly what you do, and it explicitly tells you to not to record in that mode.
Also this means you do take further action other than „Create VST Connect“?
We need to take this step by step, as you have configured something that normally is not applied, because normally there is no such repeat delay.
I take that „repeat delay“ means thta you hear the Performer Signal twice, correct? As you have not activated track monitor, and assuming you do not engage „Rehearse“ (pls dont if you want to solve this), the problem might be on the Performer side.
Can you set up a second system at your place and connect within your local network? Then we could check both sides and you could see if you also experience said delay in that scenario.
Other than that we‘d need to know more about the Performer s‘ setup.

Agreed, but the only way I’ve been able to record a voicover without having a horrible repeat is to record in this mode.
I take that „repeat delay“ means thta you hear the Performer Signal twice, correct?
Yes correct.
the problem might be on the Performer side.
The Performer has almost no control - what can they possibly do that would create a double signal?
Other than that we‘d need to know more about the Performer s‘ setup.
The performer is on a Universal Audio Apollo Twin X and in a different location an Apogee Symphony Desktop (Both of these are in different countries - Same Client)
Can you set up a second system at your place and connect within your local network? Then we could check both sides and you could see if you also experience said delay in that scenario.
No. Sadly, I’m a lone operator that records voice overs from all over the world…well mostly Africa, Germany and Boston USA. - The double signal happens across all the platforms. I would be happy to test with anyone…just to be able to sort this.

Had quite some problems configuring routing with Apollo Twin, it’s very versatile but also quite complex. But if the same problem occurs with the Apogee it is unlikely that that is the culprit.

Sure, but you may have a Laptop or spare computer, even iPad or iPhone would do, with WiFi or cable connected to the same network as your workstation, then you could simply test it, all that is required is to install Performer on that secondary machine, then you can connect locally with one button, as you own the Pro version.

When you lower the “Monitor/Perf” dial all the way down, what do you hear? Only the delayed signal I guess. Then we need to figure out how the delayed signal is generated. The only way it can travel then is via the Input Channel where VST Connect is inserted and from there to audio channel.

Restricting this to chat mode, of course there is a delay, just as you would have with a phone conversation. But that delay should be in the range of max 1/2 second, and it would entirely go away when transport is started. As you hear 2 signals, the first is probably ok, and that is what you control with the Monitor/Perf dial, is that right?

Next test is to mute the input channel where VST Connect is inserted. Does that get rid of the delay?
Also maybe there is a problem with speakers, I assume everybody is wearing cans?
Step by step…

Thank you so much for all your help. After making numerous changes to the setup as you’ve recommended. I did a test with with the voice artist with the Appolo twin. Success!!!
Finally no doubling of the signal. …The problem is that because I made so many changes. I dont know what I’ve been doing wrong for so many years. Anyhow it works now!! Thanks very much.