VST Connect & VST Connect SE - Solution Thread

I’m sure I could get it to work eventually, but I’m not going to put any of my clients through this. There are too many steps to set it up. I shouldn’t need to create more than one track and enable something extra in that track to make it work. It can be done. Great concept, not there yet.

Another one, who didn’t read the manual… In opposite to your setup, the setup for the client is rather easy. He just needs to install the client software and login. All the rest is managed by you. He doesn’t even need cubase at all… An USB microphone, a headset, the client software on his computer - that’s it, ready for recording…

Well, that’s the idea, while setup in the studio (Cubase) requires a level of understanding about basic studio recording, the client needs almost no skills whatsoever, even audio setup etc is remote controlled by the engineer. Start app, type key, perform, let the engineer do everything else, just like in the real studio. That’s the beaty of it.

Yes, I’m a developer involved in this product.

And this is working like charm… Already made some nice recordings with customers, who even don’t know what is a sequencer software… :slight_smile:

That’s great… good support. I pick up my Cubase 7 Monday evening, and this is one feature which has me most intrigued now… Thanks,

hello musicullum, I was able to use VST Connect with my friend, however the latency made it unusable.
It was choppy and skipped some beat and then suddenly stopped. We both have a regular high speed internet connection and we didn’t use a webcam so I was wondering what could be the issue? does it take a super fast internet connection or do you think it’s something else?

One problem that we found (and will of course be fixed) is that when you start at the very beginning (usually, bar 1.1.0) it stumbles and runs out of sync. For now, make sure to have your song started at 3.1.0 or so.
If that doesn’t solve the problem, pls let me know.
No, it doesn’t take a super fast connection, as long as at least 256 kBit upstream are guaranteed by your provider, it should work just fine. You may want to run one of the numerous spedd tests on the web to test it.

Being the OP. I thought I’d let you know I did get it working once I opened the ports on my router.

I had tried to find the manual unsuccessfully under the help menu in Cubase not realizing that it was in a different place. (You have to click the question mark on the plugin itself)

Also for those experiencing latency, I was too till I realized that I had been accidentally bussing the performers’ live signal back to them. Once I figured this out everything worked well.

This is a very cool feature and looking toward the future, I hope that automated replacing of the compressed files by the PCM files (something like source-connect does) is in the works. Full-res remote recording is really a holy grail for a lot of the projects I work on.

Kudos Steiny

I managed to have a connection working over internet but I’m experiencing latency with recording. I asked the performer to clap his hands in sync with the click to make a test and I can see an offset of approximately one second for each hit. (you can see it on the attached screenshot) This guy usually knows how to play tight :slight_smile:

Cubase version is 7.01, OS X 10.8.2. Performer also on a mac.
I tweaked the latency compensation to 2,3 and 4 seconds and tried various upstream speeds for both performer and me. All lights in the SE performer are green, no buffer overrun, at least on the UI.

One funny thing, we’re able to clap our hands in sync “live” thru the integrated video chat.

Is it a known issue ? Is there any fix ?

Thanks for the great work anyway, this is truly a killer feature.

anyone got this working?

If it works this would be the reason for me to upgrade from 6, I have some collabs with people in other cities and this would be great if it works.

Most of the others I would use it with are on other DAWs (logic, sonar, pro tools) so I get them install SE and away we go?

I have cubase and sometimes I would be producer and the person at the other end performer, sometimes the other way around. Does this system allow for the possibility that the cubase user might be the performer and the person on the other end the producer?

If you got this working please let us know, how well it works and if there are any problems?

Does it really do as advertised?

Another one, not reading the thread, but just posting… :unamused:

Most likely, you have inserted either one or even both VST Connect SE plugins in the wrong place: the VST Connect SE plugin must be in an Input channel (it probably is, as you are recording, but you must record directly from the Input Channel where the VSTC plugin is inserted), and the VST Connect SE CueMix plugin must be in a Group Channel, not in an Output or anywhere in the Control Room Mixer. This is because it utilizes Cubases’ latency compensation so it requires this relationship in the routing chain. Click the question mark for the manual and try the project template that comes along with Cubase 7.

VST Connect SE plugins work with Cubase only. But the Performer doesn’t need a DAW at all, only the freely downloadable VST Connect SE Performer application available for both OSX and Windows.

Thanks for your answer,

I used the VST Connect SE cubase project template (great starting point for first time users btw) and double checked with the manual for the configuration. I didn’t use the Control Room, doesn’t seem ready for VST Connect yet.

I’m not at the studio right now but I will check again tonight. Could you have a look to the project template and see if I missed something ?

This always works fine down to sample accuracy…can’t figure out what it could be. The template is just fine. The only thing we found is that it stutters when you start from top of the project (bar 1.1.0). You can drop me a PM so that we can make a test to figure it out.

I thought I read this only records Mp3…Is this correct?

Well the sure thing is the recording isnt a full WAV bandwith.

I’m not sure codec is MP3, as the maximum bitrate you can use is 384kb/s. And I never heard of MP3 going up to 384 kb/s
It might be AAC or something more advanced than MP3 ( just guessing ) .

I would say it’s perfectly fine to record a few mono track in 256 kb/s with such a codec.
It would start to be a problem if you recorded a whole song and did lot of processing on each track… audio compression start to show weakness when you process a lot.

Anyway, I guess steinberg has plans for full-bandwith recording ( like, monitoring the compressed audio during the session and downloading all the raw recordings after the end of the session )

Confused about something - can the performer launch Cubase 7 on his end and play a VST instrument for example, that I want to record on my end?

I dont think this would cause any problems.

He would just need to route Cubase 7 audio output to an analog stereo input ( or virtual routing ? )
and choose this input in the performer.