VST Hollywood Strings with OPUS

Thanks to several of you I can now hear Dorico on my computer . Loving it so far. New question: I have loaded and whitelisted OPUS engine for 3rd party VST EW Hollywood strings. That part seems to have gone well. However, when I assign tempo markings and dynamics they just don’t happen. I must have missed a step somewhere, but I can’t find it.

Am not sure this is what you mean, but Dorico does not (yet) send tempo information to VST Players.

Does that mean that to use tempo and dynamic control we have to use Halion samples? When I asked a fellow at Dorico he said that EW VST was fully compatible.

You now need to create expression maps for each of your instruments. These will connect the techniques you notate in your score with the playback techniques available in your VST.

What he said - I’ll send you one if you need one. There might be some confusion over tempo - VST’s including OPUS do follow tempo marking by virtue of when note on and note off events are sent to them by Dorico. But the tempo itself is not sent to the plugin, which has caused an issue with a small subset of them before Opus. Esp. Hollywood choirs.

That would be very helpful, thank you. Although the tempo now seems to be working with OPUS samples.

Any tempo written into a Dorico score should work automatically as tempo control is built into Dorico. My understanding is like @gdball that normally it’s not sent back to the plug-in. With dynamics, you need to ensure in the Expression Map that the dynamics controllers set are the same as in OPUS if you’re not getting any response when entering dynamics in the score.

Incidentally, there should be no need to whitelist OPUS as it’s a modern vst3 player -whitelisting is only for vst2 plug-ins and with a standard library installation, the default will generally be vst3.

1 Like

Sure - sent you a PM with the file and instructions. You know already how to import expression map libraries?