VST Hollywood Strings with OPUS

Thanks to several of you I can now hear Dorico on my computer . Loving it so far. New question: I have loaded and whitelisted OPUS engine for 3rd party VST EW Hollywood strings. That part seems to have gone well. However, when I assign tempo markings and dynamics they just don’t happen. I must have missed a step somewhere, but I can’t find it.

Am not sure this is what you mean, but Dorico does not (yet) send tempo information to VST Players.

Does that mean that to use tempo and dynamic control we have to use Halion samples? When I asked a fellow at Dorico he said that EW VST was fully compatible.

You now need to create expression maps for each of your instruments. These will connect the techniques you notate in your score with the playback techniques available in your VST.

What he said - I’ll send you one if you need one. There might be some confusion over tempo - VST’s including OPUS do follow tempo marking by virtue of when note on and note off events are sent to them by Dorico. But the tempo itself is not sent to the plugin, which has caused an issue with a small subset of them before Opus. Esp. Hollywood choirs.

That would be very helpful, thank you. Although the tempo now seems to be working with OPUS samples.

Any tempo written into a Dorico score should work automatically as tempo control is built into Dorico. My understanding is like @gdball that normally it’s not sent back to the plug-in. With dynamics, you need to ensure in the Expression Map that the dynamics controllers set are the same as in OPUS if you’re not getting any response when entering dynamics in the score.

Incidentally, there should be no need to whitelist OPUS as it’s a modern vst3 player -whitelisting is only for vst2 plug-ins and with a standard library installation, the default will generally be vst3.

1 Like

Sure - sent you a PM with the file and instructions. You know already how to import expression map libraries?

If anyone can send me a good expression map/playback template for the Opus Hollywood strings that would be great. Really need to get the con sordino setting working well. Not sure if other libraries are better for this but some seem to say the East/West one is as good as any. Thanks.

Hello,
I would be happy about this as well.
Best regards
Ulhati

nomisllewdor [1]
March 25

If anyone can send me a good expression map/playback template for the
Opus Hollywood strings that would be great. Really need to get the con
sordino setting working well. Not sure if other libraries are better
for this but some seem to say the East/West one is as good as any.
Thanks.

Please share if someone sends you one. I am having terrible problems
getting Opus to work with Dorico.

Certainly will. There is a QL version of it somewhere on the expression maps sticky thread but I think the Opus version will be different in some respects.

I would try to get to making one at some point perhaps from converting a Cubase one - but it is quite time consuming and I am not fantastic at making expression maps - so if someone had one already I would certainly be grateful for it.

Yes, I have already tried them. But unfortunately it doesn’t really work with Opus and I lack the deeper understanding in creating expression maps to customize them.
Greetings
Ulhati

This is what I currently use

ewho-strings-ems.zip (12.0 KB)

Each instrument is a separate Opus instance .
Violin I
c1 = Sus MAX
c2=Leg Slur + Port MAX
c3=Marc Sus LITE
c4= Detache
c5=Pizz RRx4
c6= Shorts MOD SPEED
c7=Stac Slur
c8=Trills KS
c9=Tremolo

Violin II
c1 = Sus MAX
c2=Leg Slur + Port MAX
c3=Marc Sus LITE
c4= Detache
c5=Pizz RRx4
c6= Shorts MOD SPEED
c7=Stac Slur RRx6
c8=Trills KS
c9=Trem

Viola
c1 = Sus MAX
c2=Leg Slur + Port MAX
c3=Marc Sus LITE
c4= Detache
c5=Pizz RRx4
c6= Shorts MOD SPEED
c7=Stac Leg Slur + Port LITE
c8=Trills KS
c9=Trem

Violincello
c1 = Sus MAX
c2=Leg Slur + Port MAX
c3=Marc Sus LITE
c4= Detache
c5=Pizz RRx4
c6= Shorts MOD SPEED
c7=Stac Leg Slur + Port LITE
c8=Trills KS
c9=Trem

Contrabass
c1 = Sus MAX
c2=Leg Slur + Port MAX
c3=Marc Sus LITE
c4= Detache
c5=Pizz RRx4
c6= Shorts MOD SPEED
c7=Stac On Bow RRx9
c8=Trills HT (only one available)
c9=Trem

I’m currently transitioning to the monster KS instruments and reworking the above EMs for those.

NOTE: These were modified from the stock Steinberg EMs so the description in the EM is for Play, Not Opus–probably should have cleaned that up.

Good luck.

1 Like

Wow many thanks for that helping hand. Yes I have tried it a bit with east west instruments and the KS versions are monsters. Found it quite hard rationalising the names of ew articulations with the Dorico technique names and then remembering which was linked to which in the Dorico expression map. :grin::grin:

Hello derAbgang,
thank you very much for this support and with it the possibility for me to use the Hollywood Orchestra in Dorico. Did you make the effort for the complete library and would you provide it as well? Maybe you can be thanked via “buy me a coffee”. I suspect that there are already some hours of work in the creation.
If not, do you have some tips to keep in mind when converting Cubase Expression Maps for Hollywood Orchestra to Expression Maps for Dorico?

Best regards
Ulhati

Here ya go …

EWHO-Opus-Woodwinds-Brass.zip (6.6 KB)

I didn’t spend as much time on the woodwinds or brass as I should have so they only have the fundamental articulations, but this should at least get you up and running. I didn’t do percussion because I still use EWSO percussion. I believe all instruments are at least represented with an EM and they are all KS instruments. You can set them up however you like. I have, e.g., all flutes in one Opus, all clarinets in another, etc.

NOTE: Don’t forget to turn on the articulations in Opus. I think I only added one or two beyond the default, but nevertheless, cross-check the EM with the instrument to confirm the correct articulations are enabled in Opus.

Good luck.

Also, if you do find mistakes, please let me know. I just rushed through every instrument in order to get base switches and dynamics correct. I actually still find some mistakes and fix on the fly.

thanks

Hello the exit,
thank you very much for the quick reply and the expression map for Woodwinds and Brass. I will have a look at it. At the moment I am creating a playbacktemplate with the strings and your expression map. I’m stuck on one point: in the violin, your assignments say c6 Shorts Mod Speed. However, I can’t find this in the compilation of articulations for 1st Violin KS Master in Opus. Can you give me a hint what is behind this? At c2 you have entered Leg Slur + Port MAX. Does that mean that I have to put both Leg Slur MAX and Leg Port Max from the articulation overview on CC2?

Gruß
Ulhati

The strings EMs are not the KS instruments… e.g., my Vln 1

The woodwinds and brass all use the KS instruments but the strings are different.

PS Abgang=downfall ; Ausgang=exit :wink:

1 Like