VST live : cumbersome use of "LYRICS" and loss of images in "NOTES" on saving

Hi,

is there a video or tutorial where I can see the usage of the “lyrics” section as it is intended by Steinberg ?

As (suppose) many other users starting with such a system I have organized my lyrics and notes as PDF documents.
If I understand right I would have to type in the song lyrics as “line by line” (as it can only be edited by line), imho this is cumbersome (and a killer criteria for me to use it)
Isn’t there a way to import a complete PDF/ODT/Bitmap file into the song and display it “as is” e.g. in fullscreen ?

I tried to follow a procedure given in another thread to drag and drop a bitmap file into the “notes” section.
Yes : the bitmap is diplayed but it is not saved within the project.
Save project → Close VST live → reopen it → information is lost.

What a pity …
I was absolutely happy of having an Windows-alternative for the Mainxxxxx mac system.
But in this state its not practical.

Thanks
Gerhard

Same here. Insert a picture: and save the project file…

Then click on the TRACKS Icon and back again on the Notes Icon and the Image is gone but a small Icon is shown.

The original image has not been saved but the small icon is also shown in the reopend project file.

Textbased notes are saved and can be edited!

Hi,

Hm. Do you delete the file after you have saved the project and closed VL? Or do you move the file? Any problematic path information/naming? Any hint would be great.

Thank you,
Michael.

I assume it is an Umlaut problem (ö, ä or other ‘foreign’ characters). You may try if it works with ‘better’ file names, will check and fix immediately.

“Isn’t there a way to import a complete PDF/ODT/Bitmap file into the song and display it “as is” e.g. in fullscreen ?”
See, Lyrics and Chords are strictly related to time and transport, so you can’t just paste or import text, as there is no context in there for time. If you want straight text/picture (like screenshots of PDF sheets) you should check out the Views/Notes module.

It was the Umlaut Problem :wink:
Sorry for that - but this should also be fixed for the use in Germany :wink:

… it’s fixed in the next update,
Michael.

1 Like

" Do you delete the file after you have saved the project and closed VL? Or do you move the file? Any problematic path information/naming?"
No. The ODT file was not deleted/moved/renamed.

The only behaviour I can reproduce is the faulty one that user Antrieb already reported in this thread.

• I put in a screenshot/bitmap from the Windows clipboard via button “PASTE” and I can see it
  • then I click on “SAVE” (hopefully that should save the note) e.g. as file “C:\temp\123.odt” (no ‘umlaute’)
  • then I click on “File - Save” (hopefully that should save the file name information in the project)
  • I close VST Live and reopen it
  • result : the screenshot/bitmap is replaced by a small white icon, bitmap is lost.

If the steps to save I did are wrong … what are the correct ones ?

Inserting a mix of text and bitmap (imho) is a substantial feature e.g. to show a snippet of sheet music or a guitar chord symbol.
Text/HTML information alone does not do the job.

Thanks for help.

Sure it’s supposed to work that way. pls check again with the next version, it should be fixed.

Hmmm … I’ve checked this with 1.0.20 … its not fixed. Same faulty behaviour.

Are there plans at all to include functionality to display pdf files (or at least common bitmap formats) as notes to a song ?

ODT is not a picture format. The “Notes” module does save odt files (which works fine here when I open it in OpenOffice Writer), but it does not load odt files. You can drag and drop image files (jpg, png) into the text area, and those are saved fine with the VST Live Project, regardless of saving a file in the “Notes” module itself - that is just a convenience option.
Try: new project, open “Notes”, drag image file into it and save (not in Notes, but in VST Live File/Save As). Exit VST Live, open it again and load saved project, image should be visible, no?

And yes, PDF files support is in the making.