VST Performance in Cubase 8 vs 7.5

My previous post speaks to asio guard, disarming a track makes no sense as a solution or part of the problem especially for those doing commercial work with a high track count…, correct…I researched the meter and technically it’s measuring the audio driver capacity with clips expected at 100% …good to know but indicative of an efficiency problem, the posts are popping up at an all time high here and I have been around 5 + years with some of these old timers on here from nuendo forum. …I believe it will get sorted out though…

Windows 7 64bit professional, I tried 8 and to many issues with drivers and USB hub for starters…

Card, NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 960 4GB GDDR5 PCIE 3.0 X16

It’s towards high end in terms of gaming community standards but not the best you can get however I think it’s more than enough to do a great job with Cubase, so far the screen looks great and is zippy as you move around, running three monitors, I run the actual film on a second dedicated PC though with a lower spec card, film video sometimes are Apple codec very high resolution or other lower Rez stuff…depends on the editor/director.

Windows 7 64bit professional, I tried 8 and to many issues with drivers and USB hub for starters…

Card, NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 960 4GB GDDR5 PCIE 3.0 X16

It’s towards high end in terms of gaming community standards but not the best you can get however I think it’s more than enough to do a great job with Cubase, so far the screen looks great and is zippy as you move around, running three monitors, I run the actual film on a second dedicated PC though with a lower spec card, film video sometimes are Apple codec very high resolution or other lower Rez stuff…depends on the editor/director.

A friend of mine has recently moved to C8 and is having a nightmare too with performance.

I was thinking about getting this card:

Any thoughts on that card?

I am an old timer!!! Just about to upgrade to 8 from 4. First dabbles in cubase before SX back in the cubase VST 5.1 days (that’s 5 the first time round).

The only reason I’m active here right now as I’m about to make the upgrade and keeping a close eye on things. It’s shocking me though how people are struggling with the full ASIO guard thing. Playing around with elements 8 for no more than a day and it all made perfect sense.

This is horrible!
You buy a new system and a new software and it cant run a playback smoothly!!

I am getting much better performance on Ableton Live.

Steinberg have to fix this and quicky, i can’t use the system for recording like this!

I have had no joy with Steinberg on these issues. Despite their initial involvement looking promising insofar as helping, it soon dried up when they could not easily resolve this issue via support.

I did a complete re-install again and this problem still remains with version 8.

I also now only use SSDs.

In the UK from 1 October 2015, the Consumer Rights Act update became law, giving consumers new legal rights entitling them to a replacement and/or compensation when digital products are faulty. The law also protects consumers against digital products that do not work as expected or are not ‘fit for purpose’.

So, in the least, it has to be designed appropriately, perform on hardware and be reliable.

I came across other people who have got this problem (or similar) with Cubase, and where other major DAWs work fine on their hardware, and they are putting together a legal case against Steinberg. They are currently in the process of gathering their evidence and complying with what’s needed to build a class suit of this kind. It transpires there is precendent before this new law in the UK. I have signed up with them, and I think they are going to look to get more people to join the suit when they know the case is solid legally. This is likely to get in the public domain so I think this could potentially have huge implications for software quality, performance and reliability.

For many of these people, including myself, these problems have incurred extra costs and loss of earnings and I don’t see why I should be out of pocket.

I think like most of the people doing this, I’d far rather they would resolve the issues and allow us to concentrate on the music. It’s really disappointing.

Sonar X3, Ableton Live and Studio One all work fine and without these issues. The problem is only with Cubase 8.

Interesting and promising. I wonder how Steinberg will survive legal pressure from customers who experience Steinberg’s product as faulty. IMO this is most welcome. It is simply wrong that software companies like Steinberg can sell products which are full of bugs, year after year after year, and sometimes even not working properly for some customers in regard to most basic functions like smooth playback in the case of DAWs. Somebody has to stop this abuse from the side of software companies, they think they can do whatever they want and get away with it without consequences. Any other product, if it is faulty, you can return it. If you buy a digital watch, and it resets itself every few hours, you can take it back and get refund. But not so with software. This must change.

Guys…don’t say nothing or you might get banned…this is worst then North Korea here.
You build a 3000$ System only to find out that Performance Issues are Steinbergs problems
and not computer related issues. Talk to you all after they unban me…i am expecting they will ban me.

I gotta say, I’m in the same boat as you guys :frowning: Don’t get me wrong, I like working in Cubase Pro 8 in as much as its overall feel, workflow, etc. But the performance is just dire. I’m by no means on a hugely powerful setup, but it’s not exactly slow either;

Win 10 64-bit
i7 4700MQ
12GB RAM
Dedicated 2GB GFX
SSD

Everything bang up to date, and I’m getting horrid CPU spikes just dragging a selection box in an empty project! Let alone doing any kind of work in Cubase itself. I’m trying to work on a track right now, and I’m getting pops and crackles with three tracks of VST. ASIO Guard helps, but recently it’s started randomly introducing huge latency (it’s not present when I first start working but after I add/remove a few plugins, it suddenly appears).

At this stage I’m not really sure what to do. I’ve considered going Mac, as I can’t 100% rule out Windows or PC hardware problems. It’s a laptop after all. But it just feels like no-one else is having these problems; they just get on with writing. I’m always troubleshooting and it’s a total creativity killer.

You are certainly not alone. And there are over 1,000 people signed-up for the class action I mentioned.

Its weird, this is my actual new setup and it is pretty powerful:

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black Window Edition (with 3 Fans)
MOBO: ASUS SaberTooth X99 USB 3.1
GFX: ASUS GTX 960 Strix OC Edition 2GB
CPU: Intel I7 5820K
RAM: 4x8 GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 Series, PC4 21300
Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S (1Fan)
PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 650
Storage:

1. SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 256GB SATA III 3-D
  2. SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 256GB SATA III 3-D
  3. SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 1TB SATA III 3-D
  4. WD BLACK SERIES 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
    CD/DVD/BD: LG Black 16X

Should be eating Cubase for breakfast BUT…it works same as on my i7 860.
Disabling HyperThreading helped a bit, why i don’t know, i thought the
opposite would be true. Disabling MultiCore on one Instrument the CPU
performance meter goes to 0 and Realtime goes over 50. Then when you
add more tracks the opposite happens. Enabling Multicore and Guard
then realtime falls down and the performance goes up. WTF?

Damn man, yeah your machine sounds like it should be up to the job! Totally at my wits end atm. I mean I can just about get the work done I need, but it’s not enjoyable. Massive dropouts just opening GUIs, anything moving on screen sends my real-time meter crazy. I feel like my computer isn’t up to the job but Reason 8 will run with tonnes, and tonnes of racks. I’ve never had a dropout in that software. Ever. And it’s only a year or two old. Like a grands worth of laptop ya know. Don’t see why I should invest in another computer (or possibly even a different platform) when everything else runs great.

Blehhhh.

Cubase can not even get close to Reason 8 performance wise, it is miles behind.

I see there is a a new Cubase version out - 8.5

I think the very least Steinberg could do is offer me a free upgrade, considering all the hassle I have had.

It was for FREE for few hours and then back to PAID…they do it 2 times a day… :smiley:

There’s always a price whenever I view the upgrade page