VST Performance in Cubase 8 vs 7.5

By the way how long are expected to wait after offing an issue officially? I diary logged my problem over 2 weeks ago with a second one about a week ago I have heard nothing.
Very poor

many of us are having the same issues with our virtual instruments.

Jesus I’m frustrated:

I am praying that this is addressed in the new update.

I didn’t have these problems at first but then the real time spike in CB8 and 7.5 has started occurring - I was forced to reinstall Komplete and this co-incided with the issue so it looks like it’s a configuration problem somewhere. Now the weird bit - as an experiment I enabled multi-core in Kontact (something you’re not supposed to do) and my issue largely went away. Although my CPU is still busy I can now work on largish projects without CPU issues. I could try a project without Kontact - however I use Kontact in everything I do - so if avoiding it fixes my issue then I may as well not bother making music! Should have bought Halion 5 when it was on offer recently as a backup!

I’ve tried all combinations of ASIO guard off on and various levels - it doesn’t seem to make a difference.

And with multi core enabled in Kontakt you have better performance?

Yes, the real time CPU spikes disappear altogether - well, for me anyway!

There’s obvious a real subtlety to the issue because at one point my system was running beautifully - now I need multicore turned on in CB8 and Kontact or I hit stutter issues when trying to record live keyboard VSTs on even moderate sized projects. The number of buffers I use from 128 to 512 don’t seem to make a huge difference.

Just my 2 cents…

It’s not a good comparison to test an old project from cubase 6/7 in 8 and expect better or same results. When I open old projects, I get weird bugs all the time in random places. For example I had huge sessions with several samples on HDD’s, I then opened the sessions and manually located the libraries on my new SSDs but things were still acting funny. Random drop outs, sustained notes, etc. Whenever I start fresh everything runs smooth. Cubase 6 + VePro is all I need, although Logic Pro is still more of a power house in general I’ve found.

All the best!

Same experience here.
Using C8 64bit and rewire Ableton and FLStudio all in 64bit.
Many drop outs, glitches, VST performances issues… tried so many tweaks, nothing would fix it.
Didn’t try the BIOS thing someone posted before about turning off hyperthreading …etc.

But, amazing thing that you can open a C8 project in 7.0.6 (didn’t buy 7.5, tired of all these new paying upgrades)
In my 7.0.6 version, everything opened in 64bit… all works very well. I Can do music again :slight_smile:

My idea is that there are some serious GUI/Graphic issues with C8… Was almost going to buy a brand new graphic card just to increase graphic performances… but since it works like a charm in 7.0, why would I ?

As other people said, please release an upgrade version when users can just go for it and be sure that all will work better… Every Cubase upgrade for so many years seems like an unsafe thing to do.

I agree, I have noticed some graphics issues when automating panners and levels. It seems sluggish and jerky. I still havent resolved this issue.

I am still having MAJOR graphic sluggish behavior since cubase moved up to version 8.x.

7.5 did not have these issues. The higher my CPU goes the worst it seems to get, but again 7.5 did not have these issues.

Are others still having problems?

Doesnt anyone from Cubase ever respond to these kind of threads? Sounds like multiple people having serious issues and the silence is deafening. I’m considering a chnage from Sonar to Cubase, but if this kind of thing happened on the Sonar forum there would be Sonar staff chiming in with comments and suggestions.

To be fair, what should Steinberg say (and this is a community forum, after all)? People are running Cubase on widely different hardware configurations - e.g. on my current pc cubase 8 blows both 7.5 and 6.5 right out of the water, performance-wise (hundreds of VSTi tracks difference) at the same latency.

And just because c7.5 runs perfectly on a particular pc doesn’t necessarily mean that c8 will - just the other day a fellow forum member discovered that it was the legacy driver he had installed for his fire-wire card that caused problems in c8, even though earlier versions of cubase ran just fine with it. After updating the driver c8 ran without problems.

I just did it the other way round, Sonar Platinum saved me for the last productions…

Gotta wait till Steinberg gets this solved…

I am afraid I will have to confirm the problem. I had waited for a while to upgrade from Cubase Artist 7.5 to Cubase Artist 8 due to financial circumstances. My main motivation was the “massive engine rebuild” which, I had thought, would lead to a marked increase in performance. Instead, I found myself looking at a slower and glitchier system when running demanding projects. I work exclusively with vsti’s, and no matter what I did, the problem would persist: Cubase Artist 8 is ‘heavier’ and ‘slower’ on my system.
I just finished a comparison of 8 VS 7.5 on the same project, and 7.5 wins hands down. It remains stabler, and much less ‘glitchy’ and ‘stuttery’ than 8.
I am terribly disappointed. I tried to contact Steinberg support, but the report will have to go through some local vendor or something. I am not sure this is the way I wish to go.
Overall, I have stuck with Cubase forever and Cubase has always made sense to me. C8 looks indeed fantastic, and some of the handling is indeed more to my liking - but the performance issue is a deal breaker. For now, I am back in 7.5. Thankfully, it seems it has not been affected by the 8 installation as other users have reported.
Dear fellows at Steinberg, please fix this!!
Greetings to all.

UPDATE:
Hello, everyone. This is an update on the issue I reported above.
I did go back to C7.5, but after some further trials with a certain intensive project, it seemed that the ‘stutter’ problem was also present there - no matter what I did. This was even after I had completely deleted C8. I was getting ready to reinstall Windows (8.1) and start afresh, when, impulsively, I clicked to re-download C8. Now, there was a difference in the installer there. The first C8 installer was about 6GB, whereas this other one (@My Products) was around 9GB. A bit puzzled, I downloaded and installed that one – I thought “I am formatting anyway, so what harm can a further trial do?”. This time, however, the C8 experience was very different. The installation process was quicker, smoother and the software itself now seems to behave very well with the same intensive project.
I just updated to 8.0.10 and all seems to still be working well. I do, of course, have to use all the provisions for minimizing latency etc (in the ASIO settings), but this is indeed a very different experience. It seems that, so far at least, C8 is in fact quicker than C7.5 – as originally promised. Even loading time is significantly shorter.
Therefore I should consider the matter closed from my side at least. This was to set the record straight.
Many thanks for anyone who read and got interested in this.
Greetings to all

I have major problems with Cubase and VSTi’s

I created a project in Sonar, as a test, with 50+ VSTi instances. I can’t do that in Cubase, which is crazy.

I get to 10 VSTi’s and the performance meter is already at 50%

When writing, I need to be able to add instruments and change the music on other tracks as I’m writing.

This is so badly affecting my work now.

That issue is Asio Guard. Set it right and you will see improved performance. Basically your getting the track count of more vst’s but at tighter latency setting. Arm a track to record and that will put the demand back on the CPU. It’s expecting to play some notes in real time.

They should perhaps make a feature where selecting a track doesn’t automatically arm it (this may exist) so if were not overdubing etc, just mixing, we don’t have to deselect record every time we switch tracks, preventing putting the asio into spike.

Same issues with c8 , I did the same thing you did , to remedy poor performance on a 1 1/2 year old i7 PC ,
But had to send my haswell system back due to the asus x99 motherboard having horrid USB connectivity issues and I didn’t get a performance increase with C8.

So I went with the specs you see on my signature and got a 50 % increase in performance over old machine.

A few observations.

My performance is better with Asia guard turned off.

I set latency to 500 , motu AVB USB 2 audio card ( which sounds great a giant leap over older generation Mot u and much closer to top of line audio cards )

My video card is a 4 gb card

Kontakt 5 issues went away once I increased the buffer in Kontakt.

However I don’t understand why a fully loaded film score project that is idle, uses 25% of my CPU per C8 meter, while windows task manager shows a 12% - 15 % usage…so the c8 meter seems off to me, and C8 clearly
Has resource efficiency issues.

Because it’s not exactly a cpu meter, it’s an asio meter.

Also try disarming the track, like my post above suggests with asio guard on. You will get many more pluggins before maxing out your asio.

What’s your make & model video card? Which operating system do you run?

Thanks

It’s beyond a joke the problems with the VST instruments in C8.

I was able to run a lot more instances and big, complex projects in 7.5

I have to say that I can get much bigger projects in Sonar; On my PC at least, Sonar is happy to run a lot more VSTi and VST instances, with multiple sends and FX channels, before performance becomes an issue. It seems the engine in Sonar might be better suited for that. There must be a reason why when it’s on the same PC.

I need to be able to get on with what I am supposed to be doing.

Not sure what to do… I don’t like the workflow and GUI in Sonar, but I can’t ignore that at least I could get on with the music and job in hand. I’m not happy reverting back to 7.5 after paying for an upgrade to C8… and it make me wonder, would I be able to move on from 7.5 at all.

There are features in C8 that I want to use but if I can’t even get a project half-finished aaaarggghhh :angry:

I despair.