VST Plug-in picture at media rack disappeared

Suddenly, the VST plug-in pictures at media rack disappeared. I upgraded to
Cubase 10.5 week ago but the pictures were exist after upgrade for a week.
When I try to add the pictures again for every VST plug-in using the camera
button in the plug-in control panel nothing happened and no pictures added
to the media rack.

When I opened my old version Cubase 10, I found the same.

What new I did recently is to run windows 10 update. When I thought that
this might be the problem and restored the windows 10 to date before the
windows update, the problem still exist.

1 Like

I have the same, or similar problem with Cubase 11.0.41 under MacOS. When I try to add a new ‘VST Plug-in picture’ (by clicking the camera icon in the top right corner of the VST plugin) - some of the existing VST Plug-in pictures disappear. It happens with both Roland Plug-ins, and UJAM Plug-ins.

1 Like

Just posted this in another similar question. Hope it helps you… :grinning:

I may have just found a workaround for this in Cubase 11.0.41. It is to do with VST3 versions of certain plugins from my experience. I was having the same issue with Super 8, Massive X and Battery. Not sure if this will work with other plugins but thought I would post in case it helps

Firstly, I added the instrument to a blank Cubase project and opened it. If you right-click the top dialog bar of the instrument you may see ’ Switch to Generic Editor’. Select this and you should see the camera icon. Take a snapshot. This picture will be wrong but this is how you get the file name. While you have the plugin open also take a screenshot of the Cubase project window or open a standalone version of the plugin and screenshot this. Edit this screenshot to your liking but make sure you save it as png. Close Cubase.

In Windows (not sure about Mac) navigate to C:\Users\YOURUSER\Documents\Steinberg\VST Thumbnails. Here you will see the thumbnail for the problematic plugin that you created in Cubase. Copy its file name and rename the edited screenshot to the same name. Delete the incorrect thumbnail, and paste your edited/renamed screenshot into the VST Thumbnails folder. Open Cubase and voila…you have your instrument picture. :grinning:

3 Likes

That is “Brilliant” … thank you so much. I have been trying to overcome this issue for ages!!

1 Like

New here but had this problem, torn my hair out, shouted “Duh” at my screen, rocked back and forth in chair etc , etc… until that is I saw the location of the images and went to have a look. There I noticed something that all my disappeared thumbnails had in common.

Whilst not great at online forum and fauna I will attempt to add a screenshot here to demonstrate.

My documents folder is on iCloud and as such when I save anything there is a slight pause between saving and synchronising. Being disinterested and having other things to do in the world like watching paint dry, I had never really noticed this pause existed until I moved house and temporarily find myself using the joys of wireless in a building that doesn’t agree with the idea of allowing data to seep through walls easily (Nightmare :roll_eyes:) .

If this is you too or a variation, you might notice a tiny cloud icon in the bottom right corner of the .png (in this case) files. It tells you that the file is yet to synchronise with the cloud server.

If you then experience an issue with online syncing this issue remains for as long as it takes to resolve itself… minutes, hours, days!

A quick fix is available on a file by file basis. If you go through the list and SINGLE CLICK any cloud icons you see and wait a second or two it will synchronise there and then.

In my case I then found that opening Cubase brought all images back again.

This might be a fix just in my instance but perhaps it could help others or make the proverbial penny drop with someone for the actual answer.

It makes a strange kind of sense when you think about it that in this topsy turvy technological world not everything happens at the speed of light. If this helps someone else out of the frustration on steroids that is the disappearing thumbnail issue I will be happy to have helped a fellow muzo.

So I offer it to you good people with every good wish in this melodic bauble that we call our planet (or plant as I see autocorrect has chosen and I have changed… Technology! Bah humbug) :smiley: .

As a human being who begrudgingly takes enjoyment from making music in a world of oddly buggy wuggy applications.I will say until my last breath that stuff worked better when things were made of wood and powered by steam. :thinking: :rofl:

1 Like