vst2whitelist

I’ve noticed that after Dorico updates, my vst2whitelist only shows Kontakt and I have to add Aria again. Is there going to be a fix for this soon?

You need to back up your whitelist file prior to perform your application upgrades. However since 1.10 you no longer need to add anything other than the VST title (case-sensitive).

I wonder if this is a Mac-only problem. My original whitelist (Aria, etc.) has persisted through all upgrades.

There is a solution to this now. We introduced the user-whitelist which does not get overriden anymore during updates.
Please read this knowledgebase article for more details:

In my case, would this be the correct way to enter the vst plugins in vst2whitelist.txt now?

Kontakt 5 16out
ARIA Player VST
ARIA Player VST Multi

For Kontakt, yes, definitely correct. For Aria, I don’t know, I don’t have the plugs here, but most likely it is also correct.
If you have trouble getting them going, please go in Dorico to the menu Help > Create Diagnostic Report.
That will create a zip file on your desktop. Please send to u dot stoermer at steinberg dot de.

Yes, this works great. Thank you.

ARIA Player VST_x64
ARIA Player Multi VST_x64

It comes up in the list of plugins when in play tab so It seems to work without the _x64.

The ‘_x64’ part is only pertinent on Windows.

Aria Player is a free sfz sample player which is downloadable from makemusic website. It is the rack version of sforzando sfz player.

P.S.: Why Halion Sonic SE does not load sfz samples?

The “free” sfz player from Plogue is not the same plugin that is used by libraries like Garritan etc. The “non-free” player has more functionality.

However Finale’s “free” sound library is a cut down version of the Garritan libraries…

There is no such thing as an “sfz sample.” The sfz files only control the playback of samples stored in other files - they don’t contain the samples themselves. They can read most sample formats that are not encrypted - but I guess the Halion libraries (and probably Native Instruments as well) do use encryption, both for the samples and the control information.

I don’t need HALion to play Garritan samples, but I sure would like to see Expression Maps for (more than just a few older strings from) the Garritan libraries.

I have posed that issue at the Garritan/MM web site, since it might help them sell more Garritan packages; but I’ll also pose that here, since it expands the sounds available to Dorico.

Chicken and Egg time, again: you can’t really create a “production standard” expression map until you have “exclusion groups” working properly in Dorico, plus the ability to use continuous controllers for more than just “dynamics”. (Well, you can sort-of work round the exclusion group issue by making a map that is several times bigger than it ought to be, but I wouldn’t call that “production standard” because it’s too fragile.)

For example the patches from the “Garritan Orchestral Strings” patches (unavailable at all for many years), that were added in the GPO4 to GPO5 upgrade, have a separate controller to balance the relative influence of the “dynamics” controller on loudness and timbre. Really, you want to be able to change that in real time (for example during a long note), and not just set it manually to a fixed value in the sample player.

I wouldn’t expect Garritan (or any sample library vendor) to supply expression maps that only let you use a crippled version of their libraries with half the controls unusable - that’s not a good way to boost sales!

I am trying to add my Aria Player to the vst2whitelist. I followed the instructions above and added the VST_x64 and VST Multi_x64 to the list but when I tried to save the new whitelist I got the message “You do not have permission to open this file”. I have recently moved my Dorico to a new Win 10 machine - I had no trouble doint this on my other machine (also Win 10.) I am obviously missing something here - any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Peter

What is the exact location of the whitelist you are trying to save?

The permissions message implies that you do not have administrator rights to the folder you are trying to use or to the file you are trying to replace. Windows may have set the file to read-only. In Windows 7 I think I encountered that problem (IIRC, it was last November when Dorico first released) but was eventually able to solve it by resetting the file permissions. Hope you have the same good fortune.

Solved!

The steps may be too sophiscated to operate through GUI operations. Wondering whether these operations could be done through Terminal (on macOS) or Powershell (on Windows) only? It occurred to me that at least Terminal bash commands could do one command to write a new line to a text file.