VST3 plugins

Does Dorico support VST3 plugins?

Simple answer: Yes.

They are automatically accessible. No whitelisting required (and no black-listing possible…)

Strange - I found out all my plugiuns were blacklisted. But now that I know about the white/blacklist all is OK.

Well, Marc is not 100 % correct. VST3 plug-ins do get blacklisted when the scanner (during Dorico startup) finds them misbehaving.
And you cannot blacklist VST3 plug-ins manually by putting them on the blacklist.

1 Like

Thanks Ulf, I didn’t know that faulty vst3 would get black listed, and indeed this is a feature, a very good thing, I mean!

1 Like

So I wonder my ALL my VST3 were deemed faulty. What does faulty mean in this context? They all work fine in all my DAWs.

Me, too, I wonder as well.
At start up, the scanner loads every plug-in and does some very basic tests on the plug-ins and if they don’t respond in the specified way, they get put on the blacklist and won’t appear any more in Dorico.
Blacklisted plug-ins are rare though, the big majority is fine and shall appear and work in Dorico.
You say that now your VST3s are all available? If so, I also wonder that they were not at some stage, because it is not usual that plug-ins disappear and then suddenly reappear.
Let’s hope it stays the way it is now and do come back if something unusual happens.

Hi Ulf,

I am experiencing the same problem where a lot of (not all) the vst plugins are blacklisted, including VE PRO and KONTAKT which is very painful! They work fine in Cubase.

I’m working on M1 Macbook, dorico 4 and cubase 12 and here’s my Dorico Diagnostic Report + Blacklist/whitelist file.
Dorico 4 AudioEngine VST3 Cache (arm64).zip (12.1 KB)

Dorico Diagnostics.zip (2.3 MB)

Best,
Albert

Hi Albert,
they are all blacklisted, because they are Intel architecture only.
So either you run Dorico in Rosetta mode, or wait until the plug-in vendors come with Apple silicon native versions of their plug-ins.

Thanks Ulf! That solved the problem!

1 Like