VSTGUI4.9 Xcode8 crashes

Hi,

I just finish building my plug-in from 4.3 to 4.9 (downloaded last February 2021 ), I’ve got a crash in cbitmap.cpp when trying to reach createBitmap:

CBitmap::CBitmap (const CResourceDescription& desc)
: resourceDesc (desc)
{
if (auto platformBitmap = getPlatformFactory ().createBitmap (desc))
bitmaps.emplace_back (platformBitmap);
}

CBitmap is called during the UI constructor, before calling open and creating a frame.

Build with XCode8, running on OSX 10.13 HighSierra

It’s working fine with VSTGUI 4.3, used to work fine with a 4.9 version uploaded last year, but crashes with this latest version.

Any idea ? Tanks in advance for any help.

Best regards
Xavier

This code snippet looks like from VSTGUI 4.10 which is not yet released. If you want to use VSTGUI 4.10 you have to initialize it before using. This should tell you the assert when running the debug version.

Thanks Arne,

Sorry, I downloaded the latest version without checking the 4.9 tag.
All’s fine now
I’ll work with 4.10 a bit later

Best regards
Xavier

@Arne_Scheffler - sorry to resurrect a dead post but I’m having this exact issue but without the fix. Am using the latest 4.10 release on the repo, I have updated some old VST projects to use the latest VSTGUI and this is the last issue I’m coming up against.

Specifically the call to createBitmap(desc) is throwing a segfault that I can’t get further info on. Does this ring a bell at all? Any help would be appreciated, I’ve tried maybe 5 different ways of creating the bitmaps, all very straightforward.

EDIT: Sorry if this augments the question but I’m just now noticing the call to getPlatformFactory() is returning null so that would explain why the other function call is failing. Any idea as to why? I’m at a bit of a loss

You need to initialize VSTGUI before using. See vstgui/vstguiinit.h at develop · steinbergmedia/vstgui · GitHub

Managed to figure that one out - thank you. Since I’m starting bring a very ancient vstgui to 4.10 and having other issues I’ll start a new thread, thanks again!