VSTi automatically selected on silenced staves

Hi,

When I try to make a stave remain without sound, Dorico automatically assigns it a sound.

The NotePerformer playback template is selected. Then, I add other VST Instruments. One of the staves should not play, so I assign it the ‘–’ sound generator in Play.

If I make some changes with other assignments (adding instruments, assigning VSTis), the staff that was assigned the ‘–’ sound generator is automatically set to NotePerformer. I’ve not reselected the playback template.

Paolo

I suspect Dorico can’t tell the difference between an instrument that has just been added and for which no sound has been loaded versus one for which you have explicitly unassigned a sound. Next time you add an instrument or player, it will assign any unassigned sounds, and that will cause that instrument to become reassigned.

It looks like sort of a horror vacui. Not finding a sound, it forces assignment of one.

I use staves with no sound assigned for guide materials (chord, series, snippets…). These are parallel building materials and tools that disappear in the final version, but are there during development.

A workaround is to assign them the “Suppress playback” option.

Paolo