VSTi Pegging ASIO Resource Meter

Okay all -

So here’s another issue I am having. First let me provide setup details:

Window 7 64Bit / 16 GB RAM
Nuendo 5.1.0 Build 637
RME Hamerfall DSP 9652 (PCI) Driver Ver. 3.0.8.5 Dated 9/10)

VST Audio System Settings: Advanced Options (I have turn these all on and off with no measurable difference)
Audio Priority = Boost
Multi Processing = Enabled
Disable CPU Energy Saving = Not Enabled

So I am working on a new cue. I have recorded seven (7) mono audio tracks (Aco gtr, banjo,etc). I loaded Kontakt 4 (Lib ver 1.0.3, Import ver 2.1.0.0) as the only VI and bang my ASIO meter hits 75%. If I disable the instrument the meter jumps back down to pretty much zero. I have noticed this in other session, too. Some VIs are less resource intensive. BFD2 eats up resources as well, while Omnisphere, or others are minimal on resource taxing.

Anyone have an idea why this may be happening? I would expect some resource utilization but to hit 75% with only one instrument not even loaded with samples…

I appreciate any help.

What latency are you running? I suspect it may be very low… 32 samples?

Suggest 128.

Have you tried playing with the multi-processing options on Kontakt? Even though NI says to switch them off, many people are getting better results by leaving them on.

DG

I had this with Kontakt 4, which has very inefficient Convolution Reverb built in.

I finally discovered that some patches (factory ones, various vendors) have convolution reverb turned on within the patch settings of a particular sound. Click the tool icon in K4 to drill in and have a look - there’s no other way.
Anyway, MASSIVELY inefficient and big CPU hog I have found.

If it’s not that, then it’s something else, but worth a look.

B

(PS, if the sound of the patch is dependant on Convolution, I found I could load the file into Reverence, and apply it within Nuendo. You’ll have to search the system to find the file that K4 patch is using.)