VSTs, Playback Templates, and Persistent Memory?

I have not been able to find any information on this subject via the Dorico Manual or on here, so I apologize if this a duplicate query. Perhaps, I’m just missing the right box to tick or preference…

I’m attempting to discover if there is a method or preference in Dorico wherein the loaded VSTs in memory remain persistent between project file loads? As of now, every time I open a new project it unloads the VSTs from memory from the current or previous project file and reloads them for the new project file even though the new project file uses the exact same playback template.

I see under “Preferences > Play” that you can set to Activate subsequent projects on load (“Ask/Always/Never”), but there doesn’t seem to be an option to “reuse loaded VSTs between project files” or something similar. Does any one know if there is a feature in Dorico to do this and I’m missing it? Or perhaps the preference I mentioned above is the solution I’m seeking?

Appreciate any insight anyone might have. Thanks!

There’s no “reuse loaded vsts”, which would be obviously delicate to program, and depending on how you work, could prove to be absolutely useless for many of us…
You can achieve something close to that using VEPro (from vsl. Not cheap but good piece of software). Or use light-weight libraries such as NotePerformer and PianoTeq…

Hi Marc. I am using some lightweight modeling libraries like PianoTeq, but sample libraries are still the mainstay for my ear. It’s most beneficial for me to export a fairly good mockup right from Dorico to get client sign-off on before doing the last 80-90% of finishing work or additional recording with Cubase or Logic, etc… While working with multiple clients, the ability to switch between project files on the fly (without waiting for VSTs to unload/reload) is something I find very useful. Thus, why I was curious about Dorico’s capabilities in this area. I was hoping that I would be able to avoid using a 3rd party and additional hardware/server solution.

Thanks for responding. Appreciate it!

1 Like

You could load all of the libraries you need into Cubase, route Dorico as MIDI out into Cubase, and synchronize them with a plugin.

This allows the use of Cubase as VST host, record MIDI tracks and print audio as tracks or stems all at once - and without ever leaving the program. Daniel mentioned there’s a closer integration coming between Dorico and Cubase at some point in the future - I have no idea how that would be implemented (VST Connect??) but conceptually it’s a very strong combination already, I think, and it’ll only get better.

1 Like

VE Pro can at least be run on the same computer as Dorico, and its “uncoupled mode” will allow you to achieve exactly what you want – and it will have the benefit of making your Dorico projects smaller (because they no longer need to save the state of each plug-in, since that’s handled by the VE Pro session), which also makes them faster to open and save. VE Pro isn’t cheap, but if you’re using big libraries with Dorico, I think it’s a good investment.

2 Likes

VEPro is what I use for large or mixed orchestral libraries and I agree with Daniel that it’s probably the best way to go for the sort of situation you envisage. The huge advantage is that you can (system RAM permitting) keep VEP open even when Dorico itself is closed so projects load almost instantly.

1 Like

If you have a student or teacher ID, VSL has VEPro for 40% off until 10/3. It’s a pretty good time to pick up VEPro if you’re considering it. Like @dko22 I have a lot of RAM so I just always leave it open in the background.

even if you’re not in education, there are regular offers of a €50 reduction (very likely there will be one for Black Friday) but even at the normal price, it’s well worth it.

Thanks for the information about Dorico and the additional suggestions everyone. I’m familiar with VEPro and it’s capabilities - I was just hoping through Dorico I could avoid having to use it again. It’s not an issue, I’ll just adjust my workflow accordingly. :+1: