WARNING BAD FEEDBACK LOOP almost destroyed monitors

WARNING BAD FEEDBACK LOOP almost destroyed monitors …

i was playing back a track after recording 2 drums tracks (kick, Overhead)… working for about an a half hour or so … i have had the issue of the disappearing vocal track only to be resolved by a restart of N6 … well, NOW on top of this disappearing act i am getting this Short Sharp Crack of Distortion and the a pulsing that starts at really low freq, the woofers were popping 2 or 3 inches from the cabinet … i dove for the volume control to save them … just in time … i have video attached - it happen several times before i could get the camera ready but it did it for me once more … i remember a version of Pro Tools doing something like this … very very dangerous for anything downstream of this … I will be working in Pro Tools 10 until this blows over … i am NOT GOING TO BLOW UP MY MONITORS … sorry but this pisses me off …

john
N6 Blast.MP4 (1.29 MB)

s

because i can make it happen ONLY in nuendo …

s

running solid in pro tools 10 … this is ONLY happening in N6 … is it possible to use nuendo 5.5 with an N6 license ??? if you take a look at my other threads in the past day or so you will see that N6 is acting strange …

i have the jumping out of record issue …

i have an issue where the Tape Saturation on or off (default settings) makes my vocal track go away BUT you can hear the verb sends … BUT i have ALL the sends disabled …

lydiot … did you listen to the sound on my video ?

s

ok … take a listen or not, it is up to you … but you may hear something to inspire you to think of a past event … and please if you have not already take a look at some of the other posts i have in other threads … i am not alone in some of these things … the disappearing audio … i think this is ALL related … first a vocal stops playing, turned out to be the built in Tape Saturation - you mute it and the vocal comes back / engage it and it disappears … then the drums track that only record 1 min then jump out of record (No Cycle markers … or locators …) … then the Noise and Pulsing … see video

and btw: this is a pretty fresh install … i just trashed everything and started over just a couple weeks ago … i truly hate that solution for things … there should be a way to Purge this crap without spending hours upon hours of tech time …

i a done for the day … i have been working in pro tools without a hitch for hours … sorry N6 but not ready for prime time in my world …

cheers

john

So far I have not come across this problem in N6, although…I haven’t used it extensively, yet.
But similar events I have encountered with clock missmatch, too low latency settings,
wrong or corrupted drivers and lbnl with plugins that are no longer compatible for various reasons.

I hope you find the problem which is absolutely annoying. The suggested re-install might be a good Idea.

Hi Lydiot…
I had my monitors directly connected to my DA convertors, too, but only for a very short period.
5 boxes yelling at me at max when the PC went out almost gave me a heart attack.
First, my old analog console and soon Central station and SPL SMC keep me save from it, now.
:slight_smile:

Big K

Even through a mixer, working at standard audio for film levels of -20FS = 83db, it will still blow your monitors if Nuendo glitches at full scale with digital noise, which N5 does for me (mac) when working with a complicated surround sound mix with surround groups. I lost two of my tweeters and some of my hearing earlier this year. This is a significant toll for using Nuendo, both financially and physically. No joke. Digital audio is a dangerous business.

s

hi lydiot … story of my life … funny, i am the one in my circle that helps everyone else with their issues … and now i have no where but tech support to turn … nothing new for me … i thank you all for your replies and horror stories …

not sure what to do … i cannot afford to lose my monitors … if this is truly This Session and NOt my hardware, i will share this session so others can prove what i hear … I only wish this does not happen to someone else …

i have a brand new fresh install of OS, PT10, & N6 … i will be testing today to see if i can recreate in this fresh install … i was saving this install for troubleshooting my Lynx hardware … i do not think my two issues are related but i will not discount anything at this point …

i will post as i find out more things … in the meantime … monitoring low while in N6 …

john

here is a pic i took this morning … i have successfully downloaded N 5.5 for mac / win and the updates to 5.5.6 BUT as you can see the NEK for MAc has failed to download 4 times … last week it was not being able to find Downloads for the Main Program of N6, steinberg had to send me a stupid link to a 7 GB ISO file that took many tries over 3 days before it downloaded correctly (and i am not the only one with this issue) …

WTF is going on with this … i thought this would be more professional than Avid world over here but i am finding alot of things wrong here in nuendo land. I just want to get back to work … and be creative, not troubleshooting every single day … i am nt speaking of the Forum when i say things are wrong … i mean steinberg’s part … cannot find downloads, tech support just stopped answering my email … i have direct email to tech and he does not respond anymore … WTF !!!

yes, if i seemed a bit steamed it is because i am … put yourself in my shoes and see how you would feel … day after day trying to get a stable system and no Love …

john

here is the session that has the issue … if you do put it up on your system Be Careful … keep your monitor volume low …

if you decide to look at disappearing audio and if you are lucky a blast and some pulsing … just add ONE audio file and use it to replace the Sm7_14-01 at bar 112 … i start around bar 161 … enable and disable the Tape Saturation on the Lvox2 channel (this is the track you should have put YOUR ONE audio track on …

john

this is on a fresh OS 10.8.3 install and fresh pro tools and nuendo ONLY on this partition …
MH_july2013_1.npr.zip (1.13 MB)

UPDATE: i just made this session have all my issues with just ONE audio track on my MacBook Pro … all these other issues have been on my MacPro … so it is NOT MY Lynx hardware …this is an N6.05 issue …

well, that makes me feel bette that i can recreate it on another computer with just the session file and ONE audio track …

s

go ahead and download the session file - it will open on your system … i have win 7 partition here and it works …

use any audio file you like … i just happen to have a vocal there (and there is a little delay that would sound silly on another instrument)

since i have re-created it on two systems with 2 different audio interfaces (macpro - Lynx card & MBP - built in) it should have no problem failing on your system as well … but be careful and have your hand on the volume or near it at least …

it seems to be the Tape Saturation in the Strip as it glitches pretty bad when you engage or disengage … but a friend tried it and has no issue (same computer but Fireface for audio)

as far as documenting … i have been troubleshooting another issue and have good notes for that and nuendo is within those notes … it is just a plain old session nothing special … no out Network plugins … all nuendo … except for kontakt but they are disabled and when i run the session on MBP there is no Kontakt …

crazy …

s

here is the bottom line … reproducible … try the session attached … a friend has tried it but yes at your own risk … i will send to Steinberg …

this glitch was on the audio file … a friend put this up on his system and found the problem … kudos to him … this does not seem related to the disappearing audio but since others have seen that i am hesitant to say that … without the Delay it just pegs my meters and this is unrecoverable … with the Delay on it is pure Nuclear … BUT play this same file in Pro tools and it is a Big Hit but the program just rolls over it and keeps going … it does not Fall Down …

thanks for looking …

john
N6 Glitch.zip (51.3 KB)

s

yes, the file has the glitch that causes the issue. the glitch on it’s own causes a lockup of N6 (meters pegged), but combined with the Stereo Delay it goes into the unrecoverable feedback type loop … force quit is only way out … hope that is more clear …

btw: the original file recorded in PT is fine … and the glitch was not there when i started working with this session in N6 … the glitch occurred within N6 … also, the file is one complete file not fragments … i have seen programs, PT and Logic, do things like this to files, little pops and such … but this one is crazy …

like i said playing this same file in PT10 it takes the pop and just keeps going …

cheers

john