Was Dorico 4 Release a Little Prematurely?

I wonder how to came up with that conclusion … I suggested an example with a VST3 other than Halion or whatever Steinberg markets and at least one typical VST2, specially the files you have to inform Dorico with. not all the VST itself specificities !!

I also used this forum to ask a few questions. But as I said, scattered documentation is not my cup of tea,

Lillie, please don’t misunderstand me. I love the work you and the development team do to produce such a high quality product as Dorico. I personally would have waited to avoid situations such as this where users are confused as to the omissions.

I shouldn’t have to go looking in other places besides the manual to find out what’s going on. I work in I.T. as my day job; I don’t also want to also feel like I’m working in I.T. for what are supposed to be my more leisurely activities such as composing. It’s hard enough sometimes figuring out how things work sometimes without also having to figure out what’s going on with the manual.

You are doing a great job and I realize you are probably under constant pressure to make things happen, being the senior person for technical writing for Dorico and possibly other applications.

1 Like

Hello Lillie_Harris, dear colleagues,
I do understand the feeling of “unfinishedness” that some users express here. I was also missing the section on “Play” in the Dorico 4 manual.
But I have also great empathy for the (probably more than massive) workload Lillie and her team are facing. And given the choice (which we all have, let’s not forget that!), I prefer to work with Dorico 4, even if the documentation is not yet complete, rather than with Dorico 3.5 with a more complete documentation. I fully trust Lillie and her team work hard to serve us all with documentation that becomes better every day, and I sincerely express my thanks for that!

5 Likes

Robrecht, I was in no way placing the blame on Lillie. It was Steinberg’s decision to release the product early, before it was completely ready, not Lillie’s. There’s not a doubt in my mind that the delay had nothing to do with her; it was simply a rush to get the product to market.