WAV file Header Problems with Export 24-Bit WAV

Hi all,

Spectralayers 7.0.20: Opened a file that was edited with Sound Forge Pro 13, so has two extra chunks (LIST and JUNK) at the end of the file. Exported 24-bit WAV from SpectraLayers. Exported WAV file was found to have two chunks copied and inserted into header of WAV file, prior to “data” chunk. In addition, data type was changed from 01 00 (little-endian 0001) to fe ff (little-endian FFFE). Raised an error in Convology XT Complete when trying to read. Again: Just opened and exported – no edit.

Anyone else ever seen this? Variations were: Edited files, then exported which resulted in no extra chunks copied/inserted, but data type changed (same as above) and error raised in Convology.

Thanks and regards,
Dave Clark

“FE FF” is the signature code for WAVE_FORMAT_EXTENSIBLE, which allows more informations about the WAV file (such as informations about the channels, float bit depth formats, etc).
It’s standard and should be read by Sound Forge, Wavelab or Cubase with no problems. However certain softwares might not be able to read it, if they implement just the minimal WAV functionalities. In that case I suggest to report the issue to Convology XT.
The order of the chunks doesn’t matter much (again, if the WAV format is fully supported by the software).

Hi Robin,

Thanks for your reply. I can certainly contact Convology XT developers and let them know that this is technically not an “Error.”

However, as a programmer myself, I do not appreciate editors that:

1. Add chunks to files, especially in the header, without my permission.

2. Change a perfectly good format without my permission.

Because of this, I would prefer that the default behavior of any WAV file editor write out the same format as opened in the first place, not “export” something new. In other words: Save, SaveAs, and Export, not just Export with a brand new header that pays no attention to the original format. Save and SaveAs would not save any changes to a WAV file what was opened and edited except for those absolutely necessary.

Thanks again for your reply.

Regards,
Dave Clark