Wavelab 7 Elements File Creation Errors

'Morning PG.

I don’t know whether you have been able to reproduce this error, but one further thing is worth mentioning.

The save feature has worked properly in the past. Via file timestamps I see I have successfully saved several flac files with normal names on 19th March, 13th March, 6th March (this is a relatively new PC installation).

On the other hand now I can only reliably save flac files with single word filenames, and I get the same issue when I try to render flac files.

You mentioned a possible fix with the temp file directory earlier that didn’t work for me. However, could there be a problem with some sort of write buffer or cache that isn’t being properly cleared or reset?

I have no more clues. If you say it worked before and not now anymore, something was change in your system I guess?
At least you can save them with names without space, if I understand right?

I have been on an extended holiday since before Easter and nothing has changed on my system, which is why I proposed the possibility that an internal buffer or cache may have progressively filled up.

Furthermore, I repeat I had the same problem under my old Windows 7 x64 machine.

Perhaps you could try to carry out the exercise of saving a couple of 24/96 wav files as flac every week for a while and see whether the issue suddenly appears for you?

In the meantime I could use single word filenames but that becomes very tedious to rename. I guess I’ll instead have to start using wav files and then use alternative software to convert into flac later. It is not really ideal though.

which is why I proposed the possibility that an internal buffer or cache may have progressively filled up.

Intuitively, no.

Furthermore, I repeat I had the same problem under my old Windows 7 x64 machine.

Same hardware?

You should try to fine tune when the problem arise. Eg. if you make a simple scearion like this:
c:\temp\test.flac ok?
c:\temp\tes t.flac ok?
c:\tem p\test.flac ok?

Same soundcard, otherwise a completely different newbuild PC

OK, tried that.

This file name does not work “r - m”
This file name works: “rxxxm”

Does that give you any further clues?

No clue. I assume you are using the latest WaveLab version, 7.2.1

Yup.

FWIW it looks to me like there may be some issue with escaping of characters (space or dash), that for some reason only affects the creation of flac files. (render to flac exactly replicates the success rate)

FWIW it looks to me like there may be some issue with escaping of characters (space or dash), that for some reason only affects the creation of flac files. (render to flac exactly replicates the success rate)

Yes, but apparently only on your system, and that’s the mystery.

Hmmm, I’m not so sure about that; I would have thought most people work mainly in wav, mp3, etc and not flac, and as I have already observed this is an issue that seems to progressively appear.

Anyway, it looks like I will have to change my wavelab workflow to use wav files exclusively, but frankly I can live with that because I have come to realise that you you have written an overall brilliant piece of software – thanks for that!