Wavelab 8 No Sound

I’m using a Mac Pro with OS 10.8.4 and Wavelab 8.0.2 installed. Trying to use the Mac Built In Line Output and do not get any sound. I have thoroughly read all the documentation, have set up the Built In Line Output options in the Mac Audio Studio Setup and in the Wavelab 8 Options>VST Audio Connections>Playback and Recording windows. When I press play in Wavelab the file plays and I see a volume level in the Master Section as it plays but I do not hear any sound from my speakers. If I play a video on You Tube I hear sound out of the computer Line Out path through the amp and speakers. Can’t figure out why no sound from Wavelab. For additional information, the file I am trying to play is a mixed down to 16 bit 44.1 kHz stereo file that was done in Protools. Wavelab also shows this as a 16/44.1 file and Wavelab running in 32bit mode, unless I’m interpreting that incorrectly and it is saying the file was originally recorded in a 32 bit environment, which it was, and I thoroughly realize Mac OS 10.8.4 is 64bit. Will Wavelab 8 automatically swicth from 32 to 64 bit? Does it even need to depending on the file you are importing to work with? I didn’t see any options to install either 32 or 64 bit versions of Wabelab when I did install it so I’m assuming it would install the 64 bit version during the installation process if it determined that’s what your OS is. Could it be a problem with another co-installed program? Just grasping at straws at this point. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi, and welcome! Whether you use WL 32 or 64 bit shouldn’t make any difference in playing a file. I don’t know Macs much, but the WL installation lets you chose to run either of the two (opposed to the Windows version, where both need to be installed separately).

Concerning your playback issue, it really should be something in the Options>VST Audio Connections>Playback settings. A screenshot could be helpful here.

Screenshot image attached for playback options.
Screen Shot 2013-07-07 at 11.18.14 AM.pdf (564 KB)

Where do you choose to run 32 or 64 bit? Is it inside the program. I didn’t see an option to choose when I installed.

OK, I finally figured it out. I opened the Control Panel in the VST Audio Connections screen and noticed at the top it said Avid Core Audio. In that window I had line output check marked but I had to go to the Show Audio window of Audio Midi Setup, highlight Avid Core Audio, open up the + sign at the bottom of that window and choose Use this Device for Audio Output. Apparantly if you have an Avid Core Audio driver installed it inserts itself in the path along with the Mac Built In Audio Line Out. Thanks for your reply and attempt to help. I appreciate it very much.

Glad you got it sorted. About the 32/64 bit version: like I said, I don’t know much about Macs, but it should be something like CTL+click the icon and then you should see the options.

All apps run by default in 64-bit mode. You can select 32-bit mode using Finder->Applications, scroll to Wavelab 8, right-click, select Get Info. There is a tickbox just under where you select a colour highlight for files that says Open in 32-bit Mode. If this is not checked, Wavelab will run in 64-bit mode.