WaveLab Gets the Cubase "Control Room" Functionality! (Not Yet)

HI All-
Thanks for all the new features in WL v9! Great Job! Time to concentrate on the “monitor” section of WaveLab. Please bring it to spec. with the Cubase application. In fact, something that looks exactly like the Cubase “Control Room” setup is close to what’s needed. Today, I have limited control over how to treat different sets of monitors in WaveLab. This is important for me since I apply plugins with different settings for each set of speakers (mostly room correction stuff.) This is practically impossible to do in WaveLab. Please take a look at what has been done with the monitoring contol in Cubase and add similar features to WL. Also, I have limited control of the master section in WL using my CC121 (control room volume, dimming, etc.) Keep up the good work!

Thanks!

1 Like

Just curious why do you need so many different speakers?

Master section presets can help with this.

There is the playback section, in the Master Section, to play this role.
In WaveLab 9.5, it is better, compared to 9.1 (metering + bypass)

1 Like

Hi Thomas-
To respond to this:
It always puzzles me when someone asks this question :slight_smile: The short answer is, just because I like it that way. The technical question; however, is that I have a few sets of speakers. I switch between these speakers to give different colors (that I like) to my ears during mixing. I have a set of NS10m’s, a set of KRK ST 8’s, and a set of Avantone (“horror tone” knock-off’s). I will routinely switch between these sets to give my ears a fresh perspective on the mix during a long mixing session.

One of the benefits of the switching in Control Room is that I can setup each set as I like, including plugins. This is particularly good for me because, since I don’t have a room built for my studio (yet,) I don’t have a tuned room and I use IK Multimedia, ARC2. I have a different setting for each set of speakers. In the Control Room of Cubase I can set the plugin with the settings for each respective speaker set.

While WaveLab 9.5 provides for SOME of this functionality today, what is does provide for is, at best, inconsistent. I’ll setup a set of speakers the way I like them, but when I launch WaveLab in a later session, the settings are not there, or are not functioning as I left them.

The Control Room in Cubase is a much better speaker management system than what exists in WaveLab today. Hopefully we can get the same Control Room on WaveLab one day :slight_smile:

Sorry it took so long to respond. I’m not in here all the time . . .

It will be nice to have the control room here in wavelab :-/ I use sonarworks and sometime if I use headphone Ghz CanOpener.
Another problem is that If I open these plug-ins in the master section the audio analyzer tools will be influenced by them.
Does exist a way to pulg those plug-ins after the audio analyzer tools?

thx!

There are two plugin slots in the master section in the Playback Processing section. These slots do not influence the WaveLab metering. This is where you should insert room and headphone correction software.

YES we need a control room or at lease a place to insert corrective plugins for different sets of speakers!!! This is a no-brainer for mastering and I will not be upgrading from W10 until it is added.

That is already possible in the Playback Section - and this is a 3-year old topic, BTW…

I don’t think that is correct. In Cubase you can insert different plugins for each set of speakers. In Wavelab the one set of inserts are applied the same across all sets of speakers and outputs. Please explain how you could do this if it is possible?

Use Master Section presets.

This is probably too slow/cumbersome for quick comparisons. While I personally don’t use the Control Room part of the master section, I could see the value in allowing each Control Room out having its own playback processing section for different correction applications to be inserted and always running for faster A/B comparisons.

It sounds like Cubase and maybe Nuendo already have it. Seems like a no brainer to add it for WaveLab.

Yes, switching different presets around every time you switch between sets of monitors is not practical compared to having them setup constantly via seperate inserts as I already do in Cubase. It is actually better for me to master inside Cubase at the moment for this reason as the setup in Wavelab is cumbersome. Having correctively tuned sets of monitors for me is critical for accurate mastering.

I didn’t say it was easy - I just said it is possible. And the Control Room in Cubase has much more functionality than just this, but it could be a starting point to improve the Playback Section in WL.

Yes Arjan, thanks for the suggestion with presets but as you said this topic was raised 3 years ago and has still not been addressed by Steinberg in WL which is an important issue for myself and raised by others in seperate posts in the past.