This goes back to at least one earlier thread in Wavelab 8, but the issue still exists in Wavelab 9.
It would seem that Wavelab is probably the only program that still makes VBR MP3s (both Fraunhofer and LAME) that are not identified as VBR by two of the only programs that identify CBR vs VBR: Foobar2000 and xRecode. In these programs, Wavelab VBR MP3s are identified as CBR. And Wavelab’s Frauhofer VBR MP3s are also oftentimes displayed with incorrect times in iTunes and Foobar2000 players, which messes up the playhead in those players. (the time discrepancy is what prompted the Wavelab 8 thread). In VLC Playlists (a program PG mentioned in the Wavelab 8 thread), Fraunhofer times are also often initially wrong, and only become right as each file is played. No other program I find besides Wavelab makes VBR MP3’s that are not identified correctly or have time problems like this.
The Wavelab VBRs can be fixed with the “fix VBR mp3 header” tool in Foobar2000 (see first attached pic), but one shouldn’t have to do this.
I have example files: 11-14 second Wavelab Fraunhofer VBR files that are seen as 3 seconds in iTunes (partially) and Foobar2000. The mistimes in players only seem to happen with Wavelab Fraunhofer, and only sometimes. Wavelab LAME only seemed to have problems with OS times in the earlier thread. But Wavelab is still the only program that makes MP3 VBR files that exhibit these issues at all from what I can tell. (the other encoding programs I’ve tried being iTunes MP3, XLD LAME, Sonnox Fraunhofer, Foobar LAME, xRecode LAME. VBR MP3s made in all these programs are correctly indicated as VBR in the other players, with correct times).
as a note, fixing the VBR header in Foobar doesn’t fix the clicks that occur in Wavelab continuous lossy file transitions. That’s still a different issue.
But the lack of VBR headers in the Wavelab files when all others seem to have added it by now, should be addressed.