WaveLab8 Workflow flexibility

Dear Philippe,

in order to make WL even more flexible I miss two major points / functions:

For those mastering engineers prefering the hybrid workflow (mastering in the box with inserted outboard gear) WL is limited when the requirement is given to use 2 inserts (e.g. one for analog gear and the second for digital outboard gear, e.g. TC System 6000). This is the point to look for another DAW. Why don´t you offer at least a second insert option so that this combination of 1 analog and 1 digital insert would be available?

When we started with digital mastering a bit more than 2 decades ago we used to work with two tracks: One for the source material without processing which would be fed to the analog chain and the second lane to re-record the processing. This is kind of old school but with this option WL would cover almost all available workflow approaches in mastering (except the ability using automation within a mastering project).

You would increase the target group of WL8 with ease. Why don´t you do that?

Best regards,

Friedemann

To the question “Why don´t you do that?”, I simply answer that WaveLab was originally conceived to be “software centric”, eg. “there are enough good plugins to answer all needs”. But I understand that you may disagree with this.

I understand this is less flexible, but why not patching your analog and digital gear together, ie. WaveLab > D/A > Analog gear > A/D > Digital Gear > WaveLab ?

Philippe

I understand this is less flexible, but why not patching your analog and digital gear together, ie. WaveLab > D/A > Analog gear > A/D > Digital Gear > WaveLab ?

I knew that you would say that :slight_smile:
It would requre a completely other wireing approach and I would not have the freedom to insert the digital gear after internal plug-ins (Internal > external analog > internal > external digital > internal).

Would be great if you could put it on the wishlist for WL9.

It would requre a completely other wireing approach and I would not have the freedom to insert the digital gear after internal plug-ins (Internal > external analog > internal > external digital > internal).

I knew that you would say that :wink: :wink:

I have noted the query for a future uypdate. We’ll see.

This would be very useful for many mastering engineers too…
It would be more flexible to have more in/out inserts…

Why not render the analogue process and work from there? Yes, it would be great to have everything controllable from inside one application, but seriously, once you go D/A there are so many variables that the session will never be reproducible unless you print the intermediate files, so the only advantage is convenience.