Way to rename files within Montage?

Is there a way to rename files when working within the Montage (maybe within the FILE BROWSER)? I see where I can change the clip names under CLIPS, but I’d like to change the name of the underlying file also.

Thanks,
Todd

If you try edit source and then save as, would that work?

Yes, but it creates a separate file… and then I have to remove the previous file from the Montage, delete it from the hard drive, and reimport the newly named file into the Montage.

I guess this is a feature request then:

It would be much simpler to just be able to rename files directly in the FILEBROWER window…

Thanks PG!

-Todd

I’m not sure about Windows but on Mac, you can press CMD + I on a clip in the clip tab, or a file in the file browser and and a system menu pops up, from there you can right click a file to rename the source file.

Maybe there is a Windows equivalent to that, or better way that PG will offer.

Thanks… yeah, I’m having to do it in Windows Explorer… it works… hopefully PG will considering allowing renaming in Wavelab though - would be much easier…

Or just edit the name of the source in the info tab, so you don’t create duplicates.

Where is the info tab? You mean within Wavelab somewhere?

Very simple: open this window:

then click on the desired file, and use the rename function from the menu.

Excellent - that’s what I was looking for! Thanks PG!

Yes, this is great and I didn’t know it was hiding there, though I personally don’t often need to change source file names…it will be good to know for rare cases or helping others in the future.

Not sure if I’m thinking of an older WL version, but isn’t it (also) simply the standard Windows F2 key?

PG,

It may still be helpful to be able to rename files also within the FILE BROWSER window if possible… just for convenience.

It may still be helpful to be able to rename files also within the FILE BROWSER window if possible… just for convenience.

You can do it there too:
2016-07-15_07-07-42.png