Weird Graphic Bug

Honestly, I was kind of miffed at first, but it’s really understandable from Steinberg’s POV after looking at the horrid state and pace of OS development these days and weird fixation on OS-as-a-service. The twice yearly Windows 10 updates and the yearly macOS updates have to be extremely hard to target and had to have altered their development process. And I never really thought about how different Windows 10 releases must be between these releases because for a while just updating when Windows told me an update was available seemed natural and worked ok. i.e., I was “on Windows 10”, why wouldn’t the latest release of Cubase work correctly? For comparison, I only paid attention to anything like that precisely once during Windows 7’s release at the availability of SP1 and once during Windows 8 at the availability of 8.1.

That said, I do hope in the future Steinberg starts to abandon silly, non-standard things like the Mac-like universal menubar on Windows, funky window usage across various types of tools (always on top on plugins changing the borders and alt tab behavior), and needlessly different UI widget toolkits that are constantly being applied and swapped out. I can’t help but feel relying on these foreign concepts or the undocumented Windows behavior that enabled it in the first place is what might cause things like this graphical glitch in the first place. That stuff might have been a good design implementation back when OS releases were largely static for quarters or half a decade, but I can’t help but feel it’s going to be a nightmare for customer service load and customer experiences moving forward if the same development attitudes are retained.

But the short term solution works for me in the meantime. And I found out that in addition to the 7 day pause you mentioned, my 10 Pro license lets me use the group policy editor to at least approach the update control that Windows 8 had and Microsoft took away, so that’s definitely helpful in ensuring I don’t accidentally Microsoft myself.