Weird line-spacing behaviour in text-frames

If you type some text in a text frame using the Default Paragraph style, but then change the font size locally, I have found that any blank lines that you create by clicking Return twice remain the same size as specified in the Paragraph style: in other words, they don’t keep in step with the locally-altered font size.

So, for example, I have some text-frame text in a locally-altered 7.5 font-size, but any blank lines I create have a height of 12, as specified in the Default Paragraph style. To achieve blank lines of the same size as the text, I had to create a new Para style (based on Default) and set the font-size project-wide to 7.5.

Is this a bug or a feature?

Welcome to the forum, Ben – Good question.

I tried out a few things and I note the same results with the regular space character. But, interestingly, I can make the line spacing match with a tab or a non-breaking space.

I’ll try that! Sounds like a more elegant solution to the anomaly than creating loads of derived paragraph styles.

EDIT:

Yes, this happens if you make the text smaller than the default, but not if you make it larger:

Screenshot

Here’s an increased font size:

Screenshot 4

This is true for text frames and text objects.

I suspect it’s therefore a bug.

If it is a bug, it’s a bug in Qt’s text document handling, not in Dorico. Dorico treats this kind of text object as a single paragraph of text, and it’s simply inserting a line separator character without any other change of formatting.

I think it would be a good idea to define your own paragraph styles with the desired size rather than overriding the size in this way, but adding a non-breaking space to the empty line will certainly work.

1 Like

Thanks Daniel!