What about a free entry version of Cubase (like Protools first or Studio One Prime)?

Hello,

What about releasing a free entry version of Cubase (like Protools first or Studio One Prime or even Dorico)?
Teaching Scoring to picture with Cubase in a music conservatory, it always feels awkward to advice my first year students to use other software than Cubase as a first sequencer… After a year or two, if they persist, they certainly would buy Cubase, but not at first. Some of them took the Reaper route… and stayed there!..

Just my 2 cents…

There’s an LE version that comes bundled with many affordable hardware interfaces, for example I think Zoom recorders come bundled with Cubase LE.
What is Cubase LE | Steinberg

Also, neither the Trial or Full version of Cubase Elements requires a dongle, the trial is 30 days long. Elements full costs around $120 I think.

Compare the versions of Cubase | Steinberg

The educational version of Elements costs $66.99 which doesn’t seem out of line compared to the cost of textbooks these days.

2 Likes

Hi,

Apart from Cubase LE, there is also Cubase AI, which comes with Steinberg and several Yamaha hardware.

Good point,
Here is a link to the educational discount process
Education Discount on Steinberg Products | Steinberg

I do agree. But for young beginners not knowing if they will pursue the class after one year, this investment is not an obvious (neither for the parents).
I am not saying I agree with them, but that’s a fact :slight_smile:

So, they familiarize themselves with other software and when they would do the investment, they are gone for Steinberg…

I am well aware of the options you mentionned (thanks to all of you): I bought 2 licences of Cubase LE for my 2 elder sons (I use pro since version 4), june promotions are also good to know.
But from a marketing point of view, Dorico with its free version is perfect (I also teach notation, and advise my students to use it, a lot of them bought a commercial version afterwards…)

Maybe one day there will be a free version, but certainly, you could make 4 albums in 30 days with the 30 day trial…