What are those pink markers at the top of the score?

See screenshot of my large orchestral score. What are those pink markers? The ones that look like “2/2 (h, 1+1)” I tried deleting them, but they won’t disappear.

Hi,
they are signposts.

1 Like

Thanks a lot!

But how do I get rid of them? I don’t quite understand why they are there in either m7 or m15. In m1, the entire piece is in cut time. So why is there a signpost at m7 saying we are in 2/2?

Here’s a screenshot of the first several measures to show you what’s going on:

And this throws off things, particularly in parts. Here’s one individual part, and m7 can’t be made part of the preceding multi measure rest, because of the signpost:

So I’d love to get rid of the signpost. I just can’t figure out how. Clicking on it and hitting delete doesn’t delete it.

What happens if you select and delete the barline?

What the pink/red signposts are telling you is there’s a hidden time signature at that position. Internally, Dorico treats barlines you’ve input explicitly (on top of the “default pattern” determined by the prevailing time signature) as a time signature, but with no sign shown. That way you know something exists there.

Also, be aware that some xml imports can look crazy because of the way some other programs export certain things (especially time signatures, clefs, and barlines).

The good news is, if you don’t wanna worry about them, you can hide them so you don’t have to look at them on screen, and they never print so you don’t have to worry about that either.

@pjotrB: that fixed it!! Thank you.

@Romanos: this wasn’t an XML import, so that didn’t cause it. I would ordinarily ignore it, except that it throws off multi measure rests in the parts (as seen in my screenshot above).

@Lillie_Harris: understood. But I didn’t add any hidden time signature at that position. I now figured out how to get rid of it thanks to @Pjotrb above: in write mode, click the bar line and hit delete. I guess that works, although I might have preferred that if I clicked on the signpost and hit delete, that Dorico would have known what I meant.

If you added a barline, that would still be treated by Dorico as a hidden time signature. Perhaps you added a double barline, then changed your mind, and re-added a “normal” barline – the “normal” barline that you explicitly input is a sort of “barline override” still. To remove a double barline and return to showing whatever the default barline is for the flow, just select and Delete it.

1 Like

Agree. The signpost represents the special barline in this case, so should be the object you’d be able to delete. Wasn’t that what signposts were for?

@Lillie_Harris: I think you’re right – I earlier added a double bar line for my own organization, then removed it when I didn’t need it, so I get that it was remembered as a sort of bar line override, as you say. Still a little odd: logically, if I add a double bar line then change it to a regular, I’ve now affected all the multi measure rests in my parts (as shown in my screenshot above) without realizing I did this.

Anyway, good to know and understand.

I’ve often run into this. I know to delete the barline and not the signpost, but I instinctively go to delete the signpost first because it’s what you go for when you delete any other thing that’s flagged with a signpost (e.g. hidden tempo markings). I would appreciate being able to delete added barlines by deleting the signpost.

5 Likes

Me too.