What can I do about UR44's constant static hiss/white noise?

I’m trying to record some guitar directly, using UR44. I will then of course add FX etc. My problem at the moment is the static hiss/white noise coming off the interface, which makes it really unpleasant to monitor as I record.

What are some measures I can take to reduce this noise? (Apart from a noise gate, which I will also use.)

According to the Mono In metre in Cubase, it’s around -83-82dB, so it isn’t particularly upsetting until I connect it to an amp sim or gain/distortion plug-in, at which point it becomes very upsetting. Throw on a couple of delays and reverbs, and it’s absolutely awful.

Please note that this noise isn’t from the guitar. It is present even with input gain 0, and nothing even connected to the input.

If you use high gain preamp simulation, this will always amplify the noise, no matter how low it is.

So you have around -82 dB noise on the analog input, even if the input gain on the interface is at lowest level?
If so, I don’t think it is normal. Does this occur on all 6 inputs, and does it change with the input gain settings?

I used to have the Steinberg UR242 and had the same problem with high noise floor. Switched to an Audient interface and have never looked back.

It happens with all 6 inputs, even with nothing connected, and gain at the lowest level. It goes up with gain. At max gain, it’s at around -60dB.

Hi bernalex,
I have to correct myself. Just re-activated my UR-44 and gave it a try. I also see and hear this noise around -85 to -82 dB on all 6 analog input channels.
Looks like that’s really the noise floor of this device.
Under “normal” circumstances it is inaudible (I cannot hear it if I listen directly to the channel and output the signal to one of the headphone outputs that is at max. - only if you open the input gain nearly completely you start to hear some noise)
But if you e.g. amplify a recorded signal by 24 dB, it’s clearly audible.

cheers

That’s really annoying for you. I have a UR22c and it’s very quiet unless you max out the gain. I guess you have the latest firmware and drivers for your interface?

1 Like

Likewise, I just got a new UR and it’s very quiet. Way more so than the much more expensive Personas it replaced.

There was a new main firmware since last I updated, so I installed that. However nothing seems to have changed.

It’s hovering around -75 on my guitar, with the gain at 3 dots. The completely unconnected/off inputs are still at around -82

Noise is hardware related… how should this change with firmware updates?

Is the noise coming thru both headphones and monitors. If so Try unplugging monitors and see if noise is in headphones. Maybe try another usb cable to check that’s not the problem.
You may just have a faulty unit. I quickly looked a reviews on sweetwater and Amazon and noise wasn’t a problem in most cases.
I hope you can sort the issue. :grinning:

The noise is coming from the UR44. As mentioned, the metres in Cubase display it. It is audible irrespective of output. It is an input problem. I don’t have a spare USB cable, but I could try to get one.

Perhaps instead of buying another audio interface would be to properly setup the device.
You can do the following:

• Download the Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver and follow the instructions provided in InstallationGuide
    It is important that you follow the instructions, read it carefully before doing anything on your own.
    Follow the instructions thus install the driver.

• Now that we have a way of properly setting up the device, let’s get rid of that constant annoying white noise.
    Again, it’s as simple as reading your respective langage InstallationGuide file.
    It’s the last page; the noise could originate from multiple sources.
    I would highly recommend first of all verifying the suitability of your cables, whether they’re close to other cables, outlets, et cetera.
    The most common fix for this would be to simply tune the Buffer Size located in the ASIO tab of the recently installed driver.
    The default buffer size would be 2048, depending on whether you’re listening to already processed audio signal (amplified, modulated, et cetera), the intensity of the white noise could vary.
    Start by doubling the value of your current buffer size and monitor your output.

N.B. Lowering the buffer size will reduce the signal processing latency but mean higher CPU consumption, meaning more responsive feedback. On the other hand, increasing its value will increase the audio signal latency, leading to a less responsive feedback but CPU consumption will be lower.
Please fine tune according to your audio interface device and its capacities.

Tip:
Enable Loopback: Mix Mono according to your needs. If you use R & L channels respectively for other purposes, then you can ignore this tip.

Take care!