What does "MIDI Channel follows track selection" do?

From p. 77 of the manual:

MIDI Channel follows track selection ensures that the Channel selector follows the MIDI track selection in the Project window. Use this mode if you work with multitimbral instruments.

For the life of me, I can’t figure out what this option does. If it’s referring to the channel selector in the MixConsole, it doesn’t seem to have any effect on behavior there.

I’m trying to be a good citizen and RTFM, but on this particular item, I’m stumped.

Hi,

This is mentioned in the VST Instrument Rack section, right?

Example:
You have an Instrument Track (or Rack), and you are using a VSTi, which supports multi-timbral (like HALion Sonic SE). So you don’t have only one MIDI/Instrument track, but you are using multiple MIDI tracks with different MIDI Channels. Output of all of these MIDI tracks are routed to the instrument. So you are using multiple sounds in this Instrument.

• MIDI 01, Channel 1, sound 1, Instrument HALion Sonic SE (01)
  • MIDI 02, Channel 2, sound 2, Instrument HALion Sonic SE (01)
  • MIDI 03, Channel 3, sound 3, Instrument HALion Sonic SE (01)

If the mentioned option is disabled… Select track MIDI 01. In the VST Instrument Rack you can see the name of sound 1 and also VSTi Quick Controls of sound 1 are available.

Select track MIDI 02. In the VST Instrument Rack you can see the name of sound 2 and also VSTi Quick Controls of sound 2 are available, etc. So the MIDI Channel selector follows the MIDI track selection in the Project window.

Ahhh, got it – thanks! I hardly ever use multi-timbral stuff, so I never noticed this. Your explanation clears everything up perfectly, thanks so much for taking the time for the detailed write-up. Hopefully anybody else who’s wondering this can now find the answer through google!