What is it? ^

What’s the name of this articulation? I only know this as short accent: ^


Thanks a lot!

So far as I know, “martellato” is mostly used in the context of sting music, because it indicates a special “hammered” articulation.
In other contexts, this articulation is often named as “marcato” and in Jazz articulation this type af accent is often referred to as a “hat”. That’s at least, what I have learned …


if you hover the mouse over any articulation button, a context will appear describing what it is.
particularly useful on the jazz/instrument specific ones

Good to know, thanks!

btw: in the German version of Dorico ^ is called Marcato.

Which is quite confusing to me, honestly.

I am from Austria with a firm background in wind band music, and we call “>” marcato and “^” martellato. This is totally different from my American friends who call “>” an accent and “^” marcato. Now let’s talk about different interpretation when there is no deeper knowledge of what the composer does indeed intend if he comes from a German background and writes for an English audience…

Wind bands have some weird conventions in other countries as well. For example in the UK, brass band players (and conductors) call the written C in the middle of the instrument’s playing range “middle C”, regardless of whether it is played by a cornet or a tuba!
Middle C (for a UK brass band cornet player, but not for anyone else).png

In jazz I know > as a long note accent and ^ as short note accent. In older swing arrangements (30th/40th) sometimes > is used for syncopated accents and ^ for down beat accents, independent from the note length.