What is the difference between adding inserts on the "External" tab and "Cue" tab in CR?

I am tracking vocals using CR to monitor myself as I record. I have my mic input routed into CR via the Ext1 bus and in the CR tab I can see the “External” section at the top. For monitoring the input while I record I set up a Cue stereo bus which goes to my second stereo output of my audio device. This allows me to have a lot of control over the input and also allows me to add FX on my input as I record. I want to have a bit of reverb and compression on as I track so I see in my CR that both the Cue and Ext sections allow for inserts and both seem to work. So my question is, which is better in this case and why does it even matter? What scenarios would require using inserts on Ext and which scenario would require inserts on “Cue”. ?

Hi,

These are different Busses. Cue bus is an output bus. We use these buses, if we want to send different mixes to the different recording rooms. For example the singer want’s to hear other mix comparison to the guitarist, while recording.

External Input is an Input bus (not an Output bus as the Cue is), which we are using to connect external devices like a Tape Machine, CD player (for example for the reference track).

Does this answer your question?

1 Like

Thank you. I think I get it. I understand that one is an input bus and the other an output bus. I also understand that different cue busses can be sent to different musicians so that each musician can hear his/her own mix with the appropriate levels. So I guess if I use the inserts on the cue bus then I can have seperate inserts for each cue bus which means the bass player and singer can both have their own cue mix and their own inserts right? So I guess the difference is that if I put the insert effects on the Ext then I wont be able to change it for each cue bus I create right?

Hi,

Exactly. For example the tiger wants a bit of Reverb.

1 Like

Thank you. I understand it now. If you are tracking different musicians it will have to be done by inserting FX on each cue send. Since I am just tracking myself, I don’t really need more than 1 cue so I guess it doesn’t matter if I put my FX on the EXT slot at the input or the Cue slot at the output to my headphones. Unless you can give me a valid reason why one might be better than the other I am going to guess that it is the same thing in this specific case.