What is the reason for the volume increase for CUT of EQ?

Hi.
I use Cubase version 9.5.
While working today, I found that the level was going up while I was doing a snare source low cut.
If I reduce eq, should not the level be lowered?
I did not understand. I attached the picture.

The level goes up from the moment you turn on the low cut filter.
The more you sharpen it, the higher it goes.
The level goes up when the high cut is done.
Cutting more than half will lower the level.
This level is lowered only if you have to shave the power of the sound.
The same is true with other eq plugins.
I wonder what is the problem and whether others have this problem.
I would really appreciate it if you could give us a solution.
I do a low cut to secure the headroom.
The level is so high that it feels like a loss.

basically every “hicut,locut” eq creates an invisible resonant bump… you cant see it in the slope , but it is there… right where the curve goes down - that is where the EQ makes its invisible “bump”

Thanks for the reply. So I’m not supposed to abuse High Pass? Should the genre of distorted sound like EDM be the same?
I would be ok with using Linear phase EQ.
Actually EDM artists are cutting a lot less than 80HZ instead of kick and bass.

use your ears…

To me, that rise in the overall spectrum level you see looks like what you’d expect with a spectrum display that’s normalized, as nearly all are. That’s done to bring the curve up to a “respectable” and more useful level. Otherwise the raw data would result in a much lower curve, perhaps -70dB or so IIRC). So when you cut energy out of the signal, like with the highpass (low cut), the normalization within the spectrum display will cause the remaining non-cut frequencies of the curve to be displayed at a higher level if the spectrum display is post-filter. And this is exactly what I see in your jpg’s … after cutting out some lows, your whole remaining curve rises by small amount. Note that this is a display effect only. The audio itself should be no louder. In fact, it should decrease in level a bit due to the lost low frequencies.

Similarly, if you boost some frequencies, the overall curve displayed will be displayed lower a bit due to the normalization.

Regarding resonant bumps … what Captain says is true - but only for resonant filters, not typical highpass or lowpass filters. Also, any decent spectrum display would display the bump in the filter curve, it would not be invisible. If you’d like to find out more about that, google overdamped/critically damped/underdamped (resonant) filter responses.

Hope this helps!

Nice 1 Pete=)

It is a very helpful article for me.
Thank you.