What Linpro noise shape should I use?

Hi
As title says ,what noise shape options should I use on the Linpro dither?
I red Wavelab plugin reference and it lacks of information and MAAT manual explains the theory but I’m confused about what type of noise shape should apply.
It depends on the kind of music? Should I do need to test all options?
Any advice is welcome.
TIA

Indeed … all I wanted was a ‘flat’ TPDF

Like you … and after reading everything I could find … I was unable to work out with certainty what that looked like in LinPro.

I also noticed that LinPro seemed to take what I would consider an unusual amount of time to process in a batch processor. I lost confidence in what was going on under the hood.

In the end I just bought GoodDither (GoodHz) and set it to TPDF Goodhertz, Inc. If I’m working in 9.5 I just use the MBit+ TPDF

You can still ask advanced question to the supplier of this plugin (https://www.maat.digital/)

1 Like

Can this be checked? Paul is right, the MAAT Lin Pro dither in Wavelab is not fast. It’s slower than all of the other methods of getting flat TPDF out of Wavelab, and it’s also slower than the original MAAT dither plugin to do the same thing. It would be nice if it was faster than the original plug-in because they’re both slower than everything else, but it should be at least as fast as the original plug-in.

Time to render an hour program file on a not fast windows notebook from 44.1 32 bit to 44.1 16 bit with flat tpdf:

Wavelab MAAT Lin Pro - 4 m 30 s
Original MAAT Lin Pro plugin - 2 m 45 s
Wavelab 10 Izotope dither - 2 m 10 s
Goodhertz dither - 1 m
Wavelab internal dither - 30 s

What version exactly? The WaveLab version, supplied by Maat, is meant to be the same.

Good Dither for the win!

1 Like

Original MAAT Lin pro plugin from MAAT v4.1.1

MAAT Lin pro plugin in Wavelab 11.0.30

They’re not the same speed, and they’re both slower than everything else.

Both using: 16 bit. Triangular. No noise Shaping. Auto blanking off.

1 Like

Wavelab Internal dither for the win. :slightly_smiling_face:

Ah, I was just talking about the 3rd party options. Good Dither offers a lot of great features, is very stable in WaveLab, and renders very quickly. It’s my go to.

1 Like

You’re right. Wavelab Internal needs an Auto Blanking option, like the others. But the speed is impressive if you don’t care about auto blanking.

I just upgraded from Wavelab Pro 10.0.70 to Wavelab Pro 11.1.10 and I can confirm, that the LinPro Dither from Wavelab is very slow in comparision with other dithers integrated into Wavelab.

I did some quick tests with an hour long file (44100 Hz, 32 Bit Float - dither to 16 Bit) in WL 10.0.70 and WL 11.1.10. No other plugins were loaded into the Master Section. System is Windows 10 (21H2), with AMD Ryzen 9 5900x and 32GB RAM.

• The Internal Dither [Type 1; Shaping Off] takes incredible ~1.5 seconds to render, both versions of Wavelab.
  • The Apogee UV22HR [Level High; Auto-Black Off] in WL 10 renders almost as fast with ~1.7 seconds.
  • The iZotope Mbit+ Dither [Type 2; Amount 1; Shaping None] in WL 10 needs ~5 seconds. With the settings [Type MBit+; Amount High; Shaping None] render time increases to ~8.2 seconds.
    MBit+ Dithering in iZotope RX9 is done within ~3.2 seconds [Amount High; Shaping None].
  • The LinPro [Type Triangular; Shaping None; Auto-Blank Off] in WL 11 takes very long ~43 seconds to render, and even with the settings [Type None; Shaping None; Auto-Blank Off] it’s still ~25 seconds.
    I cannot compare to the offical plugin, since I don’t have a license and my trial period is expired (seems like I installed this dither before).

I tried to add and remove some other plugins into Master Section (bypassed or deactivated) to see if there is any difference in render time, but it didn’t seem to change anything. For my limited private usage of Wavelab this might be somewhat tolerable, but for a professional user/company the render time seems very inefficient…

I noticed during my tests, that in Wavelab 10 the rendering is done “Fast” in the Tasks window, where in Wavelab 11 the Tasks windows says “Normal” for status. Has this phrasing been changed from 10 to 11? At first I thought this might be the reason for the slow processing, but as every plugin is rendered with status “Normal” in WL 11 (as long as I don’t change priority), and the Internal Dither is as fast as WL 10, I guess it was just renamed.

And another thing with the Internal Dithering: In both versions I have to deactivate the plugin (or delete from Master Section) to not dither when rendering. If the plugin is just bypassed, it still renders the dither, which is somewhat “dangerous” as it adds up the noise when rendering multiple times. This seems like a bug to me.

For my renderings so far in WL 10 I have used the integrated iZotope dither with the non-MBit+ Type 2 noise settings, as it is still quite fast and it produces as slightly high-passed TPDF (less low freqency noise, and without adding much high frequency noise as it is the case for shaped noise) and without an offset. I was glad to see an equivalent option in the LinPro Dither in WL 11 [Type Triangular High-Pass], but as the plugin performs so bad, I might consider to change to flat TPDF.