What’s coming in 3.0

+1 I’m sure that whatever comes when is comes will be fantastic! :slight_smile:

Do you folks all log into the forum morning and night to check for a release notice?

I think I have a bit of a problem…

I would very much like to see condensing. But there are also some very basic things that don’t work right yet, such as the arrow keys to navigate right and left to notes in the part. That is so badly broken as to be worthless, and it really should be fixed.

Another similar fundamental item is the “rubber band selection”. You can select a rectangle that surrounds notes in multiple staves that all have exactly the same rhythmic placement, and quite often, some notes will fail to be included in the rectangle. That should not happen. If the rubber band includes the note at the “and of 2” in one staff, it should include the notes at the “and of 2” for all staves included in the rectangle. I do hope these foundational items get attention. They aren’t sexy, but that, IMHO, is the mark of a polished program.

Also, how awesome is it that Daniel will get on here and pretty much tell us what’s coming up!

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: absolutly No!!! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I disagree - that is exactly what SHOULD happen.

Rubber band selection is a terribly inefficient method of making selections in general. If you want to select all the items on several staves between two rhythmic positions, you can do it with two mouse clicks, not by stretching a rectangle.

The only justification for having rubber band selection at all, IMO, is the unusual situation where you DO what to select EXACTLY what is inside a rectangular region, with no regard the semantics of staves etc. That is only necessary in rare situations, usually when something has been accidentally moved so far that you can’t guess or remember what position it is actually attached to. Since Dorico makes “accidentally dragging things to random places on the page with the mouse” hard to do anyway, that make it even more unnecessary than it is in programs like Sibelius.

I can’t remember when I last used it for anything in Dorico, but I guess it was years ago.

You can make a case either way about whether something that is partially inside the rectangle should be selected or not, but that’s a different issue (and a bit like debating exactly how the deckchairs should have been rearranged on the Titanic, IMO).

I just wish Dorico would have some sort of syncing feature with Cubase tracks. So for instance you can sync an instrument/midi track with a stave/track in Dorico and if you make a change in cubase it automatically updates the Stave in Dorico and vise versa. This would really make the workflow so much better between Apps.

It would make the whole orchestration and mockup process so much faster.

… and, on that note, so to speak, is there a “Feature Request” thread?

Not really a dedicated thread, no. The team reads and considers everything.

The rule of thumb is that you should present the need (and, if pertinent, examples of precedent in published literature) and the rationale for improved workflow.

You certainly can suggest ideas for implementation, but it’s best to leave solutions to the team.

Me too! In Finale I can figure out what voicing I want to use on my MIDI keyboard and then input it all without leaving the input caret. Now I have to leave the input caret about 10,000x in the course of writing a piece. Big waste of time, not to mention all the times I forget the caret is active and look up to see I’ve input 12 bars of nonsense. I would love to be able to compose without leaving the input caret!

I certainly appreciate that. That is always a tough decision because there is a possibility of giving the competition a tactical advantage and also a possibility of “Osborning” your own product.

In this case, I don’t think there is really much risk of giving the competition an advantage. I don’t really see any product competing directly with Dorico. Finale is stuck with a 30-year-old architecture and codebase and they aren’t making much of an effort. Sibelius may be a little more modern, but they are still mostly in maintenance mode, certainly not pushing any frontiers.

MuseScore is real competition, in that it pretty much wipes out the educational market. But I don’t see a professional composer, arranger, or copyist making MuseScore the tool of choice when your income depends on it.

Evidently Steinberg has decided that in this situation, there is more to gain than lose by being open about plans. I applaud that and think it is the smart decision in this case. (In most typical competitive situations, I don’t think it is the smart decision.)

Regarding the Osborne effect, we are only talking deferring orders a few months in all probability. This is a benefit of being part of the Yamaha stable, I would imagine. It allows a decision to accept some short-term deferral of orders, knowing that they will eventually be good orders. And really, anybody who expects to get on board “as soon as the next release is stable” really should consider starting now. Dorico is a magnificent program, and in many ways very coherent and intuitive, but there is a challenging learning curve with any product this sophisticated. The sooner you start, the sooner you will be productive – and honestly, a person can very realistically become 2X or even 4X more productive with Dorico, but it may take 6-12 months to get there.

Yes. Exactly. And it doesn’t work. That’s my point.

Thank you!

Arrows and continuation lines for playing techniques :slight_smile:

Planning, and even “very soon” ≠ v3, sadly.

Playing techniques with arrows and continuation lines will be included in the next major version.

Daniel, you just made Luis’s day… :wink:

I doubt it. Luìs has very demanding requirements in this area, and I suspect that he will find that what we have implemented to date does not go as far as everything he could possibly want.

[Edited because I am afraid I have caused Luìs offence. My apologies, Luìs.]

I mostly don’t expect to be anything more than an anonymous subject here in the forums, really, but, if you’re at it, while the first two sentences track, I would’ve supposed my track record in these forums and elsewhere thus far made the caveat unnecessary…!

Fair enough, Luìs. Our aim is always to meet the needs of every user, including our most demanding ones, and at least you should take some comfort from my knowledge that you will be pleased with what you get but left wanting more, since it means that we already have a good idea of what further improvements you will be wanting to see, and we have a plan to deliver them.