What to do after starting 3rd party plugins deactivated?

Hi

Cubase 12 Pro stopped opening a project. The only way I can now open it is with 3rd party plugins deactivated. Might be a stupid question, but what now? I tried to scan the plugins, and most (not all) were found, but they still don’t work correct. They don’t show right in the insert slots (mostly just blue boxes without the name showing) and can’t be opened. So what’s the next step?

Thank you!

As a test, and using the safe start mode and the Deactivate all third-party plug-ins option, I get a window showing all the missing plug-ins. Once the involved project loaded, you’ll have to reactivated them one by one, whether VSTi or FX in their diiferent project location (output routing, inserts…), I’m afraid.

OTOH, and even if it’s a tedious process, it will surely help you identifying the culprit. Once done, be sure to save the project under a different name, just in case. Hope you’ll get it sorted…

Thanks for the reply. How do I reactivate them one by one?

I solved this by moving possible problem plugins to another folder one-by-one, prior to starting Cubase. Culprit seemed to be T-Compressor by Techivation.

No, it wasn’t this simple. It only opened once, not anymore with or without the T-Compressor.

What exactly does happen when Cubase tries to open the project? Does it crash? If so, you can try uploading the crash dump here and maybe an analysis of the crash dump can show which plugin is the problem.

Added to what @fese just suggested, maybe try to use a backup of your project, if you have a recent one. This, to iron out the use of an eventual corrupted .cpr file…

1 Like

Thanks for replies, and sorry for me getting back prolonged, partly due to time zone differences.

Yes, it crashes. I found and uploaded a .dmp file from yesterday. Hopefully it’s a useful one, I have a few more if needed.

Cubase 12.0.52.393 64bit 2023.1.25 13.58.16.558.dmp (658.7 KB)

STACK_TEXT:  
00000000`418ffb20 00007ffe`a7472260     : 00000000`3d326b60 00000000`3d326b60 00000000`401b43d0 00000000`7ffe0386 : wdmaud!CWasapiRenderer::DefaultAudioDeviceChanged+0x133
00000000`418ffbe0 00007ffe`a74631aa     : 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 00000000`00480b50 00000000`30d4afb0 : ntdll!TppWorkpExecuteCallback+0x130
00000000`418ffc30 00007ffe`a6b87614     : 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 : ntdll!TppWorkerThread+0x68a
00000000`418fff30 00007ffe`a74626a1     : 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 : kernel32!BaseThreadInitThunk+0x14
00000000`418fff60 00000000`00000000     : 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 : ntdll!RtlUserThreadStart+0x21


SYMBOL_NAME:  wdmaud!CWasapiRenderer::DefaultAudioDeviceChanged+133

MODULE_NAME: wdmaud

IMAGE_NAME:  wdmaud.drv

STACK_COMMAND:  ~65s; .ecxr ; kb

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID:  NULL_POINTER_READ_c0000005_wdmaud.drv!CWasapiRenderer::DefaultAudioDeviceChanged

That is the Windows Audio System driver. No idea what exactly is going on there. If there are Windows updates available, I’d try installing them.

Ok, thank you! No Windows updates available for me this time unfortunately. Hmm…