What would cause this weird problem (drawing many notes)?

Cubase 11, Pro.

The other day I drew some notes in the Key Editor - a short pattern of 16th notes followed by some longer notes. When I played them I noticed that the 16th notes played MUCH louder than the longer notes, and this was true in a variety of instruments.
After experimenting around I discovered that every 16th note was actually 16 notes stacked on top of each other! The screenshot shows one of them that I deconstructed by moving one note at a time off the “stack” onto the next lower position.

All the notes, both the 16th notes and the longer ones were hand-drawn in the Key Editor in the same editing session, using the pencil tool - none of them were pasted or imported from a MIDI file or another project or recorded from a MIDI keyboard. All of the 16th notes were a stacked pile of notes; none of the long notes had that problem.

What would cause this?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

How exactly did you draw them? Do you use the Draw tool or the modifier or the double-click?

Add a fix, you can use the Remove Doubles from the MIDI menu.

How exactly did you draw them? Do you use the Draw tool or the modifier or the double-click?

Yes, just the draw tool. One click in each spot.

Does “doubles” include all duplicates or just doubles? The manual just says:

You can delete double notes of the same pitch on the exact same position from selected MIDI parts. Double notes can occur when recording in cycle mode, after quantizing, for example.
## Procedure
1. Select the MIDI part that contains the double notes.
2. Select MIDI > Functions > Delete Doubles.
## Result
The double notes are automatically deleted.

But I want to know how this could have happened in the first place.

Mouse button getting flaky?

Your pic doesn’t show it, but I wonder if the 16 stacked notes might each be on a different MIDI Channel. You using any Virtual MIDI Cables?

Your pic doesn’t show it, but I wonder if the 16 stacked notes might each be on a different MIDI Channel. You using any Virtual MIDI Cables?

I have no idea what a virtual MIDI cable is, and if they were on different MIDI channels would the sound still stack up? Remember, my first clue was that these notes were very loud when they were played. Anyway, how would they have ended up on so many separate MIDI channels and why would it have only affected the 16th notes and not the other ones?

I don’t think it’s the mouse because if the mouse was randomly generating lots of extra clicks I’d be seeing lots of other weird behaviour, not only in Cubase but also in Photoshop, Premiere Pro, Microsoft Word, and other tools I use on this PC.

So no to that, its not something that could accidentally be used. Virtual cables look to Cubase & the OS like they are actual physical MIDI devices with Ins & Outs but they are really just software. In my Templates I use them to reroute data from the Chord Track and also to communicate with the Meta Grid software. The reason I asked is that similar to audio you can create MIDI feedback loops with Virtual MIDI Cables

Depends on the specific VSTi so maybe, maybe not.

No idea at the moment. Basically still looking for evidence of what’s occurring before trying to figure out the how & why. It seems suspiciously coincidental to me that each stack of Notes is 16 deep and there are 16 MIDI Channels. In any case it would be useful to select the various notes individually and compare their settings on the Info Line to look for clues.

The only thing that’s coming to mind is, if you somehow quantized these notes to 1/1, so they were all smashed against each other in the beginning beat.

I have seen duplication of notes (up to 4-5 times) when using the chord track, but I’ve yet to sit down and write a proper reproduction sequence.

By the way, I find that the List Editor is very good for spotting these kinds of multiple notes.