When Dorico will include repeats, chord symbols etc.

Hello,

I’ve supported “Dorico” buying 2 licenses for my small music engraving firm. I am still waiting for function, that allows us to use it:

1. Missing repeats.
  2. Chordsymbols.
  3. Percussion-Instr.

My question is simple, when are you going to give us/users more complete tool/software.
To be honest. I’ve made mistake buying it in October. I can’t use it in real projects, although my clients/music publishers are interested in Dorico. I don’t want to search for bugs and be a beta tester.

piotr

We have already issued two fairly significant updates since the initial release in October, with a third coming in the next few weeks. We are working on chord symbols at the moment but we cannot predict when an update with chord symbols will be released as this is a complex functional area and we are committed to producing a high-quality implementation that will satisfy the broadest possible set of customers.

I totally agree with you.
Today I have no doubts that Dorico was released prematurely.
And also I feel that I supported the development of the program.
What makes me most sad is knowing that the people responsible for the software find it normal.
When I bought had no demo available.
Would be very happy if they give me back my money.

Not again. Sorry - I’m not sympathetic.

People buy any expensive item, including software, having done their research, or should do.

“When I bought no demo available.” Then you know what your decision should have been - wait for the demo.

Anyone who makes a big decision impulsively may well regret it - that’s life.

I bought Dorico knowing of its initial limitations. I also look forward to chords being added. Most of my work doesn’t involve chord symbols but I figured I could still use Finale for any project that needs it until Dorico is ready.
I knew I was hooked on the new program when a theater project came up where I did have to make a chart with chords and decided to use Dorico anyway and just used the text (shift X) popover to add the chords.
I’m not going back.

Maybe only information: if we could expect “volta”-repeats soon? Or it isn’t priority feature…

Piotr

Dear Piotrko,

All these feature ARE priority features. This is what Daniel keeps writing here since Dorico is out. He and his team have a roadmap and I guess these are major topics. I am sure they are working on it for some time now, but do not expect them to release a faulty version of Dorico. When those features will be added, they might well be perfectly implemented, so let’s be patient…

It would be so much more fun if they could give us some insight into their roadmap… :wink:
I know they have one, of course they have as a programming team. But it would be interesting if, for example, repeat endings will be coming in March or at the end of 2017. Or if drum notation could be expected not before April 2018.

I always and again read “yes they have a roadmap and they stick to it, no mather what people here shout”, and I agree to that. But not getting a glimpse at this roadmap makes this statement somewhat worthless.

I’m sure that the dorico developers team are working hard, and when they want a drink of water, the big boss man steinberg won’t let them stop !!!
The development team is not responsible for this premature launch on the market of dorico.
I know Steinberg very well, i’m cubase user since 1990 …

I’m pretty sure that Dorico will be the best music notation software, but I don’t still know when …
I wish the best for those who work hard on this task especially for Daniel !

…as i understand, in software developement, testing and releasing it, there will never be a roadmap beforehand - because you don’t know about the result of those tests - until you habe done them.

I was a programmer during 15 years, and i know how hard is this work.
The hardest is not the work but those who manage you, they want that their investment does not make them fall.
They want profits very quickly, and you do not have time to test the programs profoundly. It is not as to make a program for the landing of planes, you are programming 1 % of time and testing 99 %, Here it is the opposite (joke :wink:)

Dorico is a state-of-the-art software, and I think that he is costing very expensive to the investors. (Already 3 years of development !?!)
It is a fascinating but difficult adventure. I am excited to participate in it from the beginning.

,And neither Steinberg nor the Dorico Team forced anyone to buy the product. People have been clamoring for Dorico’s release for years; I hope those are not the people now complaining.

I was impressed at how quickly (for Steinberg) the demo was released, and this has made it possible to make an informed decision. But, being a normally impatient person who did hold off for once, I do have some sympathy with early adopters who’ve been disappointed

So, if i understand what you wrote : NEVER TRUST STEINBERG !!!

Before selling dorico steinberg should warn that is a beta version

I had not imagined that steinberg was capable of selling a not finished product …
So now i know !

I’m not alone to think that, read this forum and you will see.
I think Steinberg made a serious mistake, I regret it a lot because Dorico is a promising software and many users who wait for it will be disappointed.

I’m an “early adopter” but being one implies you know it’s “early”. I do homework though beforehand. I went in knowing I wasn’t getting a program that did everything I personally needed. So I don’t really have much sympathy for those who obviously didn’t go to the trouble of reading the forum or indeed all the info available as the development went on before rushing to buy and just couldn’t wait for the demo.

Well, well…

Listen, forgive me but this all sounds a bit naïve - look around you; Cubase isn’t a ‘finished’ software product either, nor Nuendo, ProTools, Sonar, Sibelius, Finale, Photoshop, After Effects, Microsoft Office… all are a work in progress. Yes - Cubase is over 30 years old and its STILL not ‘finished’… :open_mouth:

They all started somewhere, a point in time, with very few features. Dorico has been on the market for around 3 months.

Listen, forgive me but this all sounds a bit naïve - look around you; Cubase isn’t a ‘finished’ software product either, nor Nuendo, ProTools, Sonar, Sibelius, Finale, Photoshop, After Effects, Microsoft Office… all are a work in progress. Yes - Cubase is over 30 years old and its STILL not ‘finished’…

Puma0382, To be more precise, I would have to write “accomplished” instead of “finished”,
but you had understood exactly what I was meaning :unamused: !!!
I know the differences between “finished” and “in progress”,
I can work with sibelius (every day), with cubase (every week), I know this softwares are perfectible but you can use them professionally. At this time it’s impossible to work correctly with dorico … I’m sure it’s will coming, I know that the team which realizes this software is very efficient, But today, it is too early to present their work to the public, because it’s not … finished :neutral_face:

When you don’t have repeats symbols in a score (no coda, no segno, 1st ending, 2nd ending etc …), when you have very poor documentation, when you don’t have drum score, no chord etc …, that’s like a car with no light, you can drive it but not at night, that’s like a video editing software without titration, or photoshop without text, a house with two floors without staircase and we tell you : you can move into the house, we shall make staircases in a few months :open_mouth:

For a professional musical notation software, there are essential basic functions, without them, you can’t use it
I used musical software since 1985 (first creator on atari, then notator, pro24, cubase, then cubase on PC etc …), i was programmer during 15 years … it’s the first time i see that !!!.

wow, can’t believe that you think that dorico lacks more than those early programs!! I am 73 and go back to the 80s. would have killed for dorico at that time. but the people who seem to be complaining the most are in need of very basic features that are available in free programs until dorico can maturate. as an old score user (really, an engraving program and not a compositional environment) (I am not sure anything will ever match it for engraving. but, music printer plus compared to the present dorico? if you bought it, find other ways until dorico has what you want. it will. but you are not lost, there are so many alternatives until then that will do the job and not bankrupt you. if you invested in dorico. it will eventually be worth the cost. for me, it is worth the investment, even now.

I have never written that this old program were more effective than dorico !!!
It was the first sequencers, as the first cars or the first planes, they were limited but totally innovative, there was nothing else. But today, when you buy a professional musical software, you wait for basic features …
i wrote a little sequencer in assembly on Sinclair zx81 (the only support for saving data was an audio cassette tape) in 1983, At that time it was as to make a miracle !!

I simply wrote that Steinberg had made a big mistake to sales Dorico to early. A lot of people will be disappointed.
It is a real pity because I think that dorico will be the best !!!

I’m working above to learn well to use it. I have already written little plugins with lua which is much better that manuscript.
for me too, it is worth the investment, even now, it’s only because I am interested as much in the software as in what we can do with.