When is AI coming to the Media Bay?

I have set up my result columns in the media bay so many times, but for some reason, the Media Bay keeps reverting to its custom result layouts. Since there is NO WAY to store the column result layout as a preset (not sure why???) I keep loosing them. If I set up how my results are displayed globally (let’s say for all my samples), then any sub-folder I click on, I have to re-assign how the columns are displayed again. Since the process of finding and setting column headers itself is a tedious process in the media bay, this is a total workflow killer.

Does Steinberg expect us to re-assign all the column result layouts for multiple folders (in my case over 30 folders)? Really?

I did report this issue so many times, yet only received minimum reaction. It’s not acknowleded as a problem, but instead, I get the answer that this behaviour is by design!? How can it be by design, that I have to re-assign my column result view so many times? After switching to a different folder, after updates or often after no apparent reason at all. I doubt if anyone using the media bay actually understands the inherent logic of how these layouts are forced upon us.

There are currently many AI-driven alternatives (sample librarians), but none which are as tightly integrated within Cubase / Nuendo. So we are left with an old and outdated librarian, that still does not utilize any sort of AI and which is very difficult to manage overall. Since AI has been around for so long, it makes me wonder what Steinberg is waiting for?

I think many of us would appreciate some feature updates, that would finally bring the Media Bay into the 21st century. When was the last time new features were introduced into the Media Bay? Was it 10 years ago?

Please add some sort of artificial intelligence (AI) engine to tagging and searching, give us some more innovative search result layouts (like a dotted cloud or star view). Lastly, clean up some of the annoying aspects of the media bay and give us more control over column result layouts for classic views (eg. store custom layouts as presets for easy recalling).

I really like the media bay, but it is becoming outdated and some of the persistent bugs are just very annoying to deal with on a daily basis.

1 Like