When using axr4u on Windows 10, the loopback function does not work.

I am currently using windows 10, axr4u. Also, installation of all applicable drivers has been completed. I run dspmixfx axr4 to activate the loopback function and activate the loopback button, but it is not recognized in the default sound option of windows10 and there is also no response in Cubase.

To solve this problem, I contacted Yamaha Music Korea, the responsible service center for Steinberg in the country where I live, but there was no solution at all.

Please let me know if you have any solution.

If it’s axr4u driver problem, I’ll lose confidence in Steinberg this time.

To solve this, there will be only a quick driver update and bug fix.

I spent a week with support, they had me testing multiple ways to get it to work. They tested it saying they got it to work, but then came back and said they couldn’t. Then the came back and said they can get it to work but using a low latency driver. I asked if they were going to fix this or if I can get a direct refund and go with a solution that works, they said that it is working as intended.

Pretty interesting to have me run through hoops and then find a solution external to them, and then claim that was intended. If intended, why wouldn’t they have just told me to do that from the beginning? It’s called the run around because they don’t want to admit fault and be liable.

I’m on Windows 10 and using the loopback functionality of the AXR4U without problems.

Cutterfish - Great for you - but we cant use that information to make it work on our system… I have the same problem - loopback does not work in WIN 10 and this is march 30 - 2022

1 Like

Hi there, I am having the same issue. Loopback only works when I connect the axr4u to my macbook, that is when using the extra 2TR driver that is provided for Mac. Windows only has one driver .

I had an RME HDSP 9632 BACK IN 2004 , then later that year I bought the Fireface800 which both never had issues with loopback on windows. Steinberg doesn’t seem to recognize that there is a problem on their driver software for windows. I use the loopback function a lot and this is really so disappointing.
@Cuttlefish , how did you get it to work???

I think you need to define the term “Loopback” in more detail.
I also have an AXR4U unter Windows 10. I can do loopback of Audio played back from some application (e.g. Browser, Spotify) and record it with some Audio Recording Tool (e.g. Audacity). This can be simply done by activating the Loopback Button in the dspMixFx application.
But I was not able to get this functionality to work inside Cubase. So if you want to record some Audio from your PC, you have to use some other audio editor and not Cubase.

1 Like

Thanks for your response. I have figured out how to record anything from Windows (YouTube, iTunes etc) within Cubase. I have a fruity loops ASIO driver that I select in Cubase instead of the AXR4. Then select the AXR4 in windows settings as per usual. Activate loopback and record in Cubase .

It’s basically how the AXR4 2TR driver works in Mac. Except for some reason they done have a steinberg ASIO driver that allows us to do that.

My understanding of the loopback function was that it output the audio from ASIO drivers Line Outs, into the windows audio drivers stream, so you could then stream from an application using the windows audio devices (non-ASIO), and be able to hear the ASIO output. You wouldn’t normally be able to do this as the DAW would lock the ASIO drivers.

I didn’t think it was for the other way around, i.e. capturing audio from windows into ASIO.

The way I do this is to set the audio source of windows, to my Axe I/O. I have line outs on the back of the Axe I/O into a pair of inputs on the AXR. Obviously, it’s not a digital recording, but it works great and there’s no chance of creating a massive feedback loop :slight_smile:

This also allows me to work around the shared ASIO driver problem. I can run a copy of Cantabile with my guitar modelling VST’s running off the AXE IO, then set up Yousician with the AXR ASIO driver, listening to the input port connected to my AXE IO.

This wouldn’t have been possible previously, as only one application can access the ASIO driver exclusively