When would u put effect inserts POST-FADER? Basic mixing ?'s

Just a basic mixing question. Ive been on Cubase for awhile but am just getting more into the subtle nuances of mixing.

I always wondered why/when would u put an effect insert in the i7 or i8 slots in the channel editor. I’m thinking its more for reasons of POST-EQ but I could be wrong. Why post-fader? :question: :question: Better yet…why not MOSTLY post-fader or more post-fader slots (if I understand correctly)…there’s only 2.

I know how/when/why AUX sends would be pre/post fader but why an effect insert?

Thanks for the help!!

1 Like

I always use them for either limiters (pre-EQ you can still get the signal to clip when applying EQ boosts) and for analysers like frequency diagrams which are useful post-EQ to judge how the track will sit in the mix.

The only times I use post-fader insert slots intentionally are for things like frequency analyzers or any other processor who’s output isn’t going to be affected by a varying input.

Most of the time I use them because I run out of pre-fader insert points. I wish Cubase allowed you to switch which slots are pre and which are post - it would provide more flexibility overall.

why/when would u put an effect insert in the i7 or i8 slots in the channel editor.

As the other two posters have suggested, pre-fader slots make the most sense with plug-ins that are dealing with dynamics…like limiters, expanders, gates, compressors, deessers…etc.

The reason is, in post fader mode, the channel fader affects the level of signal the plug-in’s threshold detection circuit sees, making it near impossible to set a specific/critical threshold setting if there is to be any kind of fader movement on that channel.

Example: A gate’s threshold would change as you raise and lower the fader in post mode but would not if you were in pre mode.
Another example: A compressor on the mix buss in post mode. What happens to the mix if you were to fade out? The dynamics would change as the mix drops below the threshold level of the compressor. In pre mode, this would not occur.

I agree with ebryants comment about making all the inserts pre-post switchable for more flexibilty. It is rather shortsighted to assume that you only need two pre fader insert effects slots per channel…particularly on output busses.

Hi

It is said to use the post-fader insert slots for

• maximizers
  • loudness
  • dithering

All other plugs are placed into the slots 1-6.

Cheers

Thanks everyone! I understand pretty well now…

I always wanted to try a freq analyzer…is there one in C6 lol that Ive nvr noticed? If not, u have a good recommendation?

THANKS!

You could try this one … can’t beat the price!

Cubase has the multiscope but I’ve never used it. I use Bluecat’s frequency analyser, it’s free and works great for both mono and stereo material. Voxengo Span is another good alternative and is free as well.

edit: Scab ninja’d me :wink:

NICE!!! 64bit too :mrgreen:

Reverb is nice on post fader if you want to automate the fader to get quiet very quickly while the long reverb continues play out (nice for transitions)

7 Years…
but nevertheless, a post fader insert will be silent also if the fader is automated to mute.

I use to use it when an artist would record and like to monitor his performance with reverb or any other effects, putting such effects in pre-fader will be entering the daw along with the audio clip, so basically its permanently recorded with reverb and your stuck with it!

While putting a reverb in post fader means, the audio was recorded and only after its recorded it get reverb on it.

Very useful but be careful since its a bit heavy on the cpu and it ruined one of my recordings where I had spikes and overloads, I ignored it and the result was having clicks and drops in the audio files permanently.

If you´re talking about Cubase, then that is simply wrong.