Where are the missing inputs?

I’ve just installed an MR 816x interface. I had some trouble getting any sound out of it, but I think I’ve managed to sort most of it out now.

I’ve still to start with getting sound in. In large part to one anomaly, that I can’t figure out. Where the are the Analog input channels 1-5. They are missing from both Cubase and WLE. And what is ”Audio Input 12” at the bottom of the list.

I was under the impression that I’ve bought an 8 analog input interface. Not a 3 input one.

Edit:
It gets weirder!
I set up VST Input Connections with two mono buses (Mic 1 on Analog input 6 and Mic 2 on analog input 7):

I then proceed and press the Quick Connect button on the MR 8146x in order from 1 to 8, and Cubase sets up the following input buses:

i.e. Pressing the Quick Connect button for Analog input 4 on the MS816x connects me to ADAT 1. I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that ADAT was a digital interface protocol!

I did a quick test and the same problem appears in both Mavericks and Yosemite.

Id venture to say that the prefs are screwed up for the VST Connections.

\

1. Open up your MR console and see if your inputs and outputs are there. It wouldn’t hurt to re-install the MR software
  2. Open up Cubase, make sure the MR is selected as the ASIO Driver, even if it is select it anyway and select switch.
  3. Click on Yamaha Sternberg FW then on the right click the RESET button underneath the Direct Monitoring window which will reset all the ports and make them visible. You should see all the available ports now. Those ports should reflect what you have setup in the MR Consoles setup screen as to ADAT, SPDIF etc. Then hit the reset button at the bottom then OK. IF your inputs are not showing now then you have pref file issue.
  4. IF its a prefs issue do the following.:

Removing the preferences of the sequencer

When uninstalling Cubase or Nuendo, preferences won´t be removed automatically. This is because the preferences contain your personal settings such like key commands, device maps, presets for VST plugins etc. The uninstaller only removes files which have been installed by it.

If you want to remove preferences please do this:

Mac OS X

Exit Cubase resp. Nuendo.
Open the Finder and go to the folder: Users/Your Username/Library/Preferences/Your Cubase resp. Nuendo version
Create a new empty folder on your desktop
Select all files and folders from the preferences folder and move them into the empty folder on the desktop.
The preferences folder needs to be empty after that.
Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion)

*The Library folder for the main user account is not visible anymore on Lion, that means that users will not find it and will not be able to delete the preferences.
To access that folder you need to go to the menu “Go”, then hold down the ALT key on your computer keyboard and click on the appearing “Library” entry.

Then you will be able to access the Library and delete the preferences.

Also,
Safe Start Mode - Resetting The Cubase Preferences

Issues in Cubase/Nuendo can be related to particular preferences settings. Since Cubase 7/ Nuendo 6 there is a quick troubleshooting method to check whether the problem you experience is related to the preferences settings.

Here is how it works.

Start Cubase/Nuendo and hold down + + (Windows) or + + (Mac OS X) as soon as the start screen appears.
The following screen appears:

Click to zoom image.

For troubleshooting purposes choose the option “Disable program preferences”.
A: If temporarily disabling your preferences solves the problem you now know that the problem is related to preferences. To make the temporary changes of the preferences permanent you can choose “Delete program preferences” the next time you open Cubase/Nuendo and the safe mode dialog.

B: If temporarily disabling your preferences does not solve the problem you now know that the problem is probably not related to the preferences. To load Cubase/Nuendo with your old preferences you can just start Cubase/Nuendo as usual.

If the problem still persists you are advised to go on with the following article to continue troubleshooting the problem:

https://www.steinberg.net/en/support/knowledgebase_new/show_details/kb_show/troubleshooting-instructions-for-cubase-nuendo-and-sequel-on-windows/

Note: When you start Cubase/Nuendo with factory settings you will amongst other messages receive the following message:

Click to zoom image.
If you click on “Already Registered” the message will go away.

Important:
Also be aware that it is necessary to choose the right ASIO driver for your ASIO device under Devices > Device Setup> VST Audiosystem.
More information about the Cubase/Nuendo basic setup steps can found be under Help > Documentation > Quick Start Guide.

**List of settings files and their purpose

Setting… Stored in…
Color setup (default) Defaults.xml
Color setup Saved with project file
Crossfade presets \Presets\RAMPresets.xml
Device maps Folder where program is installed into \Device Maps *.xml
Device Panels \Panels<device name>.xml
Device port input / output setup Port Setup.xml
Drum maps \Drumaps\ as *.drm
Edit modifier keys (current) Edit Modifiers.xml
EQ presets \Presets\VstEqPresets.xml
External FX / Instruments setups in VST Connections External Plugins.xml
Insert presets \Presets\InsertsFolderPresets.pxml
Installed MIDI devices Midi Devices.bin
Key command presets \Presets\KeyCommands<preset name>.xml
Key commands (current) Key Commands.xml
Logical Editor presets \Presets\Logical Edit<preset name>.xml
MediaBay auto scan drives FileSysObserver.xml
MediaBay column, list, attribute settings MediaDefaults.xml
MediaBay factory defaults for “Reset” MediaFactoryDefaults.xml
MediaBay settings MediaDefaults.xml
MIDI FX presets \Presets<plugin name><preset name>.xml
MIDI Insert presets \Presets\MidiInsertsPresets\ as *.xml
MIDI Snapshots \Presets\MIDI snapshot<device name> as *.xml
Mixer (or channel) settings Saved in the last active folder as *.vmx (VST Mixer settings)
Mixer view presets Saved with project file
Patch name scripts \Scripts\Patchnames\ as *.txt
Preferences (current) Defaults.xml
Preferences configuration presets \Presets\Configurations<preset name>.xml
Preferences configuration Configuration.xml
Quantize presets \Presets\RAMPresets.xml
Score custom palettes Score Custom Palettes.xml
Score default font Score Default Font.xml
Score guitar symbols for dialogue, symbol inspector GuitarLib.xml
Score setting window setup Score Setting Window.xml
Score staff presets \Presets\Staff Presets as *.xml file
Template user projects \Templates<template name>.cpr
Tool bar presets \Presets\RAMPresets.xml
Track control presets \Presets\RAMPresets.xml
Track presets (included with the program) Folder where program is installed into \Track Presets (with sub folders \Audio, \Instrument, \Midi, \Multi) as *.trackpreset
Track presets (user defined) Win: \Documents and Settings<user name>\Application Data\Steinberg\Track Presets
Mac: \Library\Application Support\Steinberg\Track Presets (with sub folders \Audio, \Instrument, \Midi, \Multi) as *.trackpreset
Transport panel presets \Presets\RAMPresets.xml
Usage profile protocol Usage Profile.xml (only if enabled in the preferences)
VST Connections presets \Presets\RAMPresets.xml
VST2 plug-ins (not loadable) Vst2xBlacklist.xml
VST2 plug-ins and instruments Vst2xPlugins.xml
VST3 plug-ins and instruments VstPlugInfo.xml
VST3 presets (included with the program) In the application folder under \VST3 Presets as *.vstpreset file
VST3 presets (public, for all programs) Win: c:\Documents an Settings<user name>\Application Data\Steinberg\Track Presets
Mac: \Library\Application Support\Steinberg\Track Presets as *.vstpreset file
Workspaces Presets (global) Window Layouts.xml
Workspaces Saved with project file
Zoom presets \Presets\RAMPresets.xml

1. All inputs appear to be there. But if is because the MR Console really sees then if the GUI is simply programmed by that. I don’t know.

2 & 3. ”Yamaha Steinberg FW” is selected. Switching to ”Internal Audio”. Switching back to ”Yamaha Steinberg FW”. Resetting the ports. No difference!

Considering that the exact problem is exhibited in the separate programs (Cubase & WLE) on two separate OSX installs (Mavericks & Yosemite), I wasn’t expecting anything to happen.

I am pretty sure that the problem is not with Cubase or WLE. Before destroying all the preference settings I’ve made in Cubase ands WLE unnecessarily, I’d prefer to pursue other avenues. If it’s a preference issue with the Mavericks install of Cubase and WLE, the problem wouldn’t show up in the Yosemite installs, which are fresh and never used. Would it?

I don’t expect that reinstalling the ”TOOLS_for_MR_V176_Mac” would make any difference either. The exact same problem already shows up on two separate installs.

I’ve noted one thing. In Applications/Yamaha/FWDriver there is an application called ”YamahaFWCM”. If this is the driver, then there is an anomaly. It’s version number is 1.1.3 not 1.7.3 as it should be according to the Steinberg and Yamaha sites. On the other hand, on the ”TOOLS_for_MR_V176_Mac” contained the wrong FW driver, it should have been noticed by other user long before now, wouldn’t it?

I think we can rule out Cubase, WLE, Mavericks and Yosemite as the cause of the problem. That leaves the MR 816x itself. Could it be a firmware problem? According to the ”Yamaha Steinberg FW Control Panel” the firmware version is v1.10, which is the latest version, as far I know. Once again, if it were a firmware problem, it should have been noticed by others aswell.
Yamaha Steinberg FW Control Panel.png
One thing is clear. Something is preventing OSX to see all the inputs (Analog inputs 1-5 to be exact). Since the problem is exactly the same in Maverick and Yosemite, I think we can rule out OSX as the cause.

Once again we’re left with the MR 816x as the most probable cause.

I want to stress the importance of solving this issue. I had allotted 48 hours to switch audio interface, which should have been more than adequate to iron out the occasional glitch. This problem has forced me to shut down my studio indefinitely, until the problem is solved! This is a very serious situation.

Thanx for the list of preferences files, by the way. This will come very handy for back-up purposes.

Heres what I would do. Open the mr installer and when you can, uninstall each component of the mr tools
There are Three parts, fw driver, extension and mr console, uninstall all of them. Shut down the mac, then boot back up and re install the full mr console, re boot and see if that fixes it. Also, you have to setup your vst connections for your inputs and outputs

I’m afraid, you’d be wasting your time. I’ve installed the software twice already, with the exact same results. There is is nothing to indicate that a third, fourth, fifth…hundredth attempt would make any difference.

And how would you go about accomplishing that for the accessible input channels? If you can crack that nut, you’ve found the solution. Until then…what is needed is the Steinberg support to do their job. But they seem to be content with ignoring their customers, when their product don’t work as specified.

VST Connections. Select the Input Buss tab, Add Buss, then Mono, then select the MR as the device for that buss then see what Inputs are showing as available.

That said, I would do a HARD RESET on the MR first. Then try the other things. After that Im out of ideas here

Accomplished by pushing in the Select 1 knob and holding the Channel 8 Pad Button while turning the unit on