Where do I save 'Drum Map Setup' drum maps so that they show up for all projects? Where is GM Drum Map stored?

When saving one of these setups, it seems to save to current project as default?

If you create a Folder for maps somewhere that is convenient for you (mine is a sub-folder in my normal Windows user folder) and save a map there it should remember that location for your next save. Don’t put it anywhere Project Specific, and it doesn’t benefit from being on an SSD.

Thanks,

where does Steinberg save the default GM Drum Map? is there a folder where I can drop my saved drum maps to be included in the list?

Or I will just do your way and save them all to one spot.

For me, doing what you explained… When I saved it to the location i have chose, close cubase, open cubase and create new project, the newly saved drum map does not show up.

I’m asking how to save a drum map in a location that Cubase will read it and load it into its list next to GM Drum Map for all new projects, templates, etc, etc.

Don’t really know where the file for the GM map is stored - but I’d guess it is down the Appdata rabbit hole.

There is a difference between saving a Drum Map file and having it appear on the list inside Cubase.

You can save your maps as a file anywhere you like. But it really is just to save the map as a file so you can use it on other computers, have it included in OS level backups, etc.

But if you want to have a map appear on the list internal to Cubase next to the GM Map, that is different than saving them as a file.

Say you have 5 maps you like to always see on the list. First save each map as a file so you will always have that.

Next edit the Cubase Template(s) you use. In “Drum Map Setup…” load your 5 maps from their files. Now you’ll see these are also available along with GM on the list. Save this as a Template. Now the 5 maps will be available for any Project you start with this Template.

As an aside, I recommend always saving Templates as regular Cubase Projects in addition to as a Template. That way you can recover if the Template gets corrupted and you can easily use this to start a Project on a different computer.

In Cubase whenever a situation similar to this crops up, 99% of the time modifying your Template(s) is the answer.

Cubase isn’t reading any map files unless you explicitly import them. The maps you see on the list are determined by what’s in the template and not an external file in some specific location.

I came across this thread because I was wondering the same thing. Is it really true that the only way you can have a custom drum map show up in all new sessions is to save it in a template? BFD3 lets you save a global key map by saving the file in a directory that is one of your content paths or you can just save it to a file and manually load it and I like having that flexibility.

Well you can save and load any Drum Maps you like in Cubase too. It doesn’t have a pre-defined location for where to store those files - your choice where to put them. It remembers the last location used - so if you have a bunch of maps in that folder they will be available to load into any Project as needed. If like the OP you don’t want to load them from a file then you can include the maps in a template and whenever you create a Project from that Template all those maps will already be loaded - and of course you can load more from files as the Project progresses. You don’t need to use the loaded maps, they just need to be loaded in the Template to be available for immediate use.

BTW for BFD3 you don’t need to save or load a map into Cubase. Unlike most 3rd party drum VSTi’s (at least last I knew), BFD3 is compliant with the feature to Create Drum Map From Instrument. It will take the currently used internal BFD3 drum map and map that into a Cubase Drum Map.

Thank you, Rodger. I know it’s a little nitpicky but I just want to avoid that one extra step on having to import the map in to a current session that wasn’t created from a template that already has the map imported.

Oh yeah, I’ve been using the “Create Drum Map From Instrument” function a lot. Very cool feature. I’ve really just started leveraging drum maps in Cubase so kind of figuring out things as I go. Really appreciate your help.

Thing is that so many things you might want to customize or otherwise setup are done using Templates. So it’s prudent to always start every Project from a Template, just make it a habit. It is really the only way to customize Cubase to suit your needs. I always have a basic Template and then use that to build any variants.

+1 for templates. Hell, +10.

I’m working in a number of genres (acoustic raw & cooked, rock, rhythm & blues, orchestral, electronic) and each has its own needs. While it was some up front effort, creating appropriate templates for each style was like having Steinberg create a custom version of Cubase, just for me.

Even though I’ve been with Cubase a long time, I still feel like I’ve only scratched the surface of things I can customize and tweak. And like Rodger says, every time I find another cool new thing, I update my templates.

Especially if you’re more musician than geek, it’s really worth doing a geek session to set things up with all the little enhancements that make life easy for you. After that, you can just push the button and go back to being a musician.

I keep a running list of small changes I want to make to my Template(s) and then every so often I’ll update.

Yeah this seems like a good approach. I am new to Cubase, but i came over precisely because of all the super advanced features. It can be nauseating trying to learn everything, but i agree that templates are the best way to make sure you have everything set up as you need, so you aren’t spending ages setting everything up each time.