Where is release asio driver when in background in Dorico?

Wavela -dorico together problem

1. dorico is open at first then in background, when I open wavelab : wavelab don’t see my sound card
    2.Wavelab open at first ok Open Dorico ok but when I reswitch to wavelab : waveleab don’t play and say the audio device output could not set to 44 100Hz
    but Dorico is in 44’100:

I think the problem is asio driver not released so:
    where is release asio driver when in background in Dorico?
    I looked here
  2. Edit > Device setup
  3. Edit > Preference > Play
  4. Library > Playback option
  5. Play > something

Dorico doesn’t provide an option to release the ASIO driver when in the background. Ulf’s standard advice in this situation is to use the Yamaha USB ASIO device in one application and the Generic Low-latency ASIO Driver device in the other. You might give that a try.

@dspreadbury
I already tried: it doesn’t work !
(or perhaps with the begin of nightmare to test which one should have which driver and which should be opened first)
So my solution without nighmare is to use Voicemeter banana and use Voicemeeter Virtual ASIO in both with steinberg UR22C
In my other computer, I can run D3.5 and wavelab Pro 10 together,but I use a motu pro soundcard and Window 7
I’m not still 100% on my new computer so I use for the moment the ur22C but I will change to my motu when I would have time

[Edit]
I just tested with a MOTU sound card: no more problems at all. Everything can work together
so the problem is the yamaha asio driver for Steinberg UR22c sound card (I haven’t tested the other models yet)

I believe it is indeed the case that the UR-22 drivers are not multi-client capable on Windows, which is why you can’t have both applications set to use the same driver, but I’m glad you can make progress with your MOTU card.

I’m also experiencing this problem, attempting to run Dorico in parallel with Transcribe! (Seventh String software). I surely can’t be the only musician trying to use these two apps side by side?

The workaround I’ve found is delete all the VST plugins, since I don’t need Dorico playback for transcribing. Transcribe seems happy now, and Dorico is silent.

That shouldn’t be required. You “just” need a multi-client driver so that both Dorico and other applications can use the audio hardware at the same time.

@Ulf, would I be right in saying that the forthcoming WASAPI-based driver we will release at some point in the relatively near future will be multi-client? Might @TheLemmingofDestiny try that out to help with this issue?

Hi @dspreadbury and @TheLemmingofDestiny ,

yes, definitely. I’ve posted the new driver already, you can download it from here

1 Like

Ah thanks, that looks like it will fix this! I’ll report back when I’ve had a chance to download it to my laptop.

Incidently, this current version is a lot less stable. :frowning: I just tried to update the project info and after hitting apply entered the spinning wheel of death and have had to force quit. :-`{

@TheLemmingofDestiny , can you please do from the menu Help > Create Diagnostics Report and post the corresponding zip file here? Thanks
Update: And please don’t give up on it, try again with that driver, it may have just been a first time glitch.