Where to find "Edit"

The manual says that “edit” is located at the bottom of the screen in both the Write and Play modes. It’s not there on my Mac . What am I missing?

Please could you link to the specific page to which you’re referring, for the sake of context?

I think you mean the Key Editor (aka Piano Roll)

I have Dorico 5 and went to Steinberg.help to the Operation Manual. In the search bar, I typed “where is edit.” I clicked on Key Editor Panel. The sentence that told me to look at the bottom of my screen (I was in Write mode) is the first bullet point on that page. Maybe the Key Editor is in another panel? Thank you.

I don’t know where to find the symbol for Key Editor. Could you help me? Thank you.

I have Dorico 5 and went to Steinberg.help to the Operation Manual. In the search bar, I typed “where is edit.” I clicked on Key Editor Panel. The sentence that told me to look at the bottom of my screen (I was in Write mode) is the first bullet point on that page. Maybe the Key Editor is in another panel? Thank you.

My post shows the icon at the bottom of your screen that you need to press to show the key editor!!! Please tell me how I could have explained it more clearly.

Of course, you do need to have the bottom panel showing!

The Key Editor is indeed located within the lower zone. Pop the lower zone (aka bottom panel) open by clicking rhe arrow at the bottom centre of the main window, or by typing Ctrl-8 (Windows) or Cmd-8 (Mac).

That said, what/how are you aiming to “edit”? It may be that you are indeed looking for the Key Editor, which is Dorico’s version of Piano Roll, but the wording of your initial post suggests you might be looking to edit in some other way.

You did explain it more clearly by telling me the bottom panel needs to show. Thank you.

I didn’t grow up with computers like those of your age. There are many things your age group takes for granted when explaining computer issues which us of the older generation don’t know. This is why I struggle to learn a whole new software for composing.

That made me smile. FYI I will be 65 years old in July. When discussing politics I feel disillusioned, old and tired. But music keeps me young.

3 Likes

Thank you. I found the Key Editor. I’m not very composition software savvy although I used Sibelius for many years. If I had clicked on the arrow at the bottom of the page, I wouldn’t even have known what I was looking at. Yes, I was looking to edit somethng. But in struggling to learn Dorico, I can’t remember what. I appreciate your patience and assistance. Thank you very much.

2 Likes

It has nothing to do with being “composition software savvy”. If something is telling you that it is found on the bottom of the screen, then you should try to figure out what’s in there (yes, there’s a hidden step, but this isn’t an excuse not to try at all!).
Have some exploration instinct inside you. You’re not supposed to just sit tight and hope the things come to your mind.
Some tutorials about key editor might help you out:

There should be more around.

PS: Even after watching tutorials concerning key editor and play mode, I’m still not so good. It’s simply a matter of self-learning skill. I don’t believe in this age thing.

2 Likes