Where would I expect to see a USB instrument and use it?

I’ve recently purchased a Jupiter 50 and I’m now using this as my controller on Elements.
I can record fine with VST instruments using this as the controller but I want to use the sounds of the Jupiter obviously and I can’t find anyway to do this. According to Roland it should be capable of being used as a controller and audio device by USB. So far I’ve only got it to work as a controller. I can’t get any sound out!
I’m using a Focusrite 214 as my interface to hear my VST instruments which I can do no problem.
So, I’m still pretty new to this DAW stuff. To hear the Jupiter do I add an audio, midi or instrument track? I would have thought instrument track and it would appear along side my VST instruments. The driver seems to be loaded correctly.
Thanks in advance. Any reasons why I wouldn’t be able to hear anything?

Cubase can use only one ASIO driver at a time, so if you want to have audio of the Jupiter 50 via USB you have to choose its driver in Cubase device setup VST audio system. That way you can no longer use the focusrite as audio device.
So if you want to keep the focusrite as Audio device in Cubase, you need to connect the audio outs of your Jupiter to the audio ins of your Focusrite, do the connectiomns in Cubase VST connections and record to an audio track.
Alternatibvely you could try “ASIO4all” (Windows) or aggregate device (Mac) which let you unite different ASIO drivers into one, but might also bring higher latency.

Thank you - I didn’t realise it had that limitation. I’ve got three USB instruments so I guess the easiest would be rooted through my external mixer to the input on the focusrite then?

I personally would do it that way.

THank you - not what I wanted to hear but clarifies it for me! Much appreciated

A few ways of achieving this…

Don’t use the Jupiter as an audio interface - use it as a MIDI device - either via USB, or using the MIDI out on your Focusrite to the MIDI in on the back of your Jupiter.

Just plug the audio out from the Jupiter into an available input on your Focusrite. If the Focusrite supports Direct monitoring, then make sure that is enabled, to reduce latency / improve timing.

Or…use the Jupiter for MIDI AND audio over USB. Change your audio device to the Jupiter in Cubase…you have got the Jupiter audio (and MIDI) drivers installed, haven’t you?

Like I said, there is more than one way of achieving this. The only restriction is that only one ASIO AUDIO device can be active in Cubase at any one time -but multiple active MIDI interfaces work fine, whether over USB or 5-pin DIN.

Usual warnings apply when triggering the Jupiter sounds from the Jupiter keyboard. Make sure you don’t get double triggering when recording, by turning off MIDI LOCAL ON/OFF on your Jupiter.