Which key command for "start tuplet"?

I’m trying to find the key command for this button, which you can find in the left side pane.

When I use the key command for “Create tuplet”

then it gives me a popover:

But I want to immediately “start” a tuplet using whatever ratio is currently selected in the left pane, i.e. what you get when you click that button:

which is very practical when you constantly need to switch between tuplets and non-tuplets.

I don’t find “Start tuplet” in the preferences.

Thanks in advance for advice.

AFAIK you would need Notation Express with a Streamdeck to do that on a single stroke… [Edit] especially if you need other values than 3:2

You can record a macro of hitting that button (with the caret showing). Then all you need is a keyboard shortcut. On Mac, it can be assigned in System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts (by the name you gave the Lua script, which shows in the menu).

Whenever you invoke the macro in the future, it will make a 3:2 tuplet of whatever note value, even if the button shows you last used a different ratio.

I guess it’s basically the same thing Mark is recommending, but I manually created a “start triplet” shortcut by pasting the following into the kWriteMode context of my user keycommands file.

{
						"NoteInput.StartTupletRun?Definition=3:2" : [ "Num+1" ]
					},

Obviously you can substitute whatever shortcut you’d like between the quotes, but I wanted one so my hand doesn’t have to leave the numpad while inputting.

Thanks @Mark_Johnson I will investigate the possiblity of using a macro. New to Apple so I haven’t explored that area yet.

Is this something you do with the built-in Apple “Script editor”? First attempt was opening Script editor with Dorico opened, then click record and do some action in Dorico, but nothing was recorded.

Thanks @FredGUnn that looks like an elegant way to solve it.
Where can I locate that key command file?

Didn’t find it here:

I’m on Windows, so I’m not sure where that lives on the Mac. On Windows at least it’s in the User folder which is different that the Application folder. I’m guessing you’re maybe in the Application section, but I’m not on Mac so not really sure. It’s probably in the same folder with your userlibrary.xml file if there’s a way to search for that.

I highly recommend using a stream deck. I have the small one with 15 buttons and have programmed it (which is very easy and intuitive) to have an on/off toggle for triplets, quintuplets, and sextuplets–each with one button push. I keep my left hand on stream deck and right hand on a MIDI keyboard with only occasionally moving to the computer keyboard.
Edit: I now see Marc already made this recommendation, so I simply second that.

Ok @FredGUnn found the json file here:

@lafin and @MarcLarcher thanks for your ideas, I might consider this option when I’m routinely using Dorico

1 Like

I would confirm with a Mac user that’s the right one. There’s a keycommands file in the Application folder that includes all the factory shortcuts. This file will be overwritten with any update. The one in your User folder will keep all your personal shortcuts when Dorico is updated, so that’s the one where you want to make any edits.

yes @FredGUnn this is in my users folder

I have Create Tuplet and End Tuplet mapped to the / and * keys of the numpad, that way, at least for the (by far) most common tuplet I don’t need to move my hand. (8th-note triplets: 5/3Enter, all under my fingers.) Not so much about # of keystrokes, more about ergonomics.

No need for Apple’s Script Editor. Here’s my procedure in more detail:

• Show the caret, choose Script > Start Recording Macro, click the tuplet button in the left panel, and choose Script > End Recording Macro.
  • Go to the Finder and while holding the Option key on the keyboard, choose Go > Library. (This takes you to the Library directory in your Home folder, which is normally hidden.)
  • Go into the “Script Plug-ins” folder and find the file “usermacro.lua”. Rename it to something appropriate but unique. I named mine “MakeTriplet.lua” (with no space). As soon as you do this, it shows up with your new name in Dorico’s Script menu.
  • Go to System Preferences > Keyboard. Click the Shortcuts tab and choose “App Shortcuts” from the list on the left. Then click the + button to add a new shortcut. Choose Dorico from the list of Applications, fill in the exact name of your script command, click in the 3rd field to assign a keystroke.

That’s it! Your keystroke is immediately available in Dorico without even having to relaunch.

1 Like

Thanks @Mark_Johnson for your clear explanation. Don’t know why I was blind to see “Script” in the Dorico menu. I’m certainly going to explore these possibilities cause I like macros and automisation.
Edit: tried this as well and also works… I’m spoiled :wink:

@FredGUnn had to fiddle a bit to make it work on my side but now it works like a breeze. Always nice to understand what happens under the hood of an application and to be able to manipulate this sort of things

2 Likes

@Mark_Johnson I’ve been playing around with this method. For example it is very useful where I am not able to use the key command customization in Dorico, such as function keys F17 till F19 which for some reason don’t seem to respond as expected with Dorico.

I’m able to use the Dorico script tool in combination with these keys, but strangely when I record a macro “delete” and assign it to for example key F19 (or any other key for that matter), it doesn’t work.

local app=DoApp.DoApp()
app:doCommand([[Edit.Delete]])

Any ideas why?

Nevermind, suddenly it worked… No idea why.

I’m a complete idiot here, but how exactly do you program those functions into your stream deck?

I’ve tried with simpler things, and gotten them to work, but nothing remotely like what you’re suggesting.

could you perhaps include a step-by-step of what you input into your stream deck?

I’m traveling this week and next so can’t help you right now. If no one else chimes in I can help out when I return.